Carvin BB75 mini review with clips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Jun 30, 2005.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England

Finally got round to recording some samples of my Carvin for my MP3 page. Here is a pic to get you warmed up:

(The one in the middle!)

I have had this bass for a few months now and I am really at home with it. I have always enjoyed 5 strings but never really used them before properly, just messed sbout with the low B a bit for no real reason. I have since got a couple of gigs in some completely different bands to what I normally play and the 5 string covers them both. One is a female fronted acoustic rock/r'n'b band. Our first few songs are covers of a lovely lady called Megan Slankard
    The bassist in this band plays a Modulus Quantum 5. Very groovy tunes.

Anyway, I have had time to play this bass live and at practices and it sounds incredible live for this kind of situation, it sounds really smooth but gets nice and gritty when you dig in. I was told the pickups were weak sounding by many scaremongers on TB but I honestly think they are great and the 3 band eq is fine too. Construction of the bass is top notch, the electronics cavity is neat and battery access is through a handy rotating box built into the bass.

Here are a few clips of the bass then. They are recorded into my trusty zoom mrs-4. It tends to make the bass osund a little clinical but is fine for this sort of thing..

The first is Marcus Millers 'Panther' played with the pickups set to j/j config: guitar samples/Carvin BB75 j-j.mp3

Second here is the same thing but with j/mm config (a subtle difference on this song) guitar samples/Carvin BB75 j-mm.mp3

The next clip is a little slap riff played with j/mm then mm then j/j setup for comparison: BB75 slap j-mm to mm to j-j.mp3

The last one is just me messing about with the bass set in full flight J/MM mode. guitar samples/Carvin BB75 slap improv j-mm.mp3

As you can hear the MM and Jazz impressions are passable. Live, they sound even better. The jazz sounds even better on passive mode but I forgot to record that didn't I!

In short, I am pleased with this bass! It cost me £350!!!
  2. Nice clips and nice instruments, I have a BB70P and a BB75, both of which never fail me.
  3. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Sounds great. I really like Carvins.
  4. TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Great clips! And that's a beautiful BB75, as well.