1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BK40 build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by haas, Feb 11, 2013.

1. haas

haas

Jan 30, 2012
    Santa Clarita, CA.
    Well, it was gonna be blue. Then red. I didn't like it. I got it sanded down a bit and thought, yeah that's cool. So, there it is

photo 2.

2. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    Sweet! I like the look of the paint. Something a little different to stand out instead of a standard solid body color. So how did the build go? I just ordered a BK40 with an ash body, fretless neck and icon headstock. I'm thinking of a tung oil finish to show the grain. I love the look of ash and don't want to cover it up. Any tips on the build?

3. haas

haas

Jan 30, 2012
    Santa Clarita, CA.
    The build went well. Take your time with the soldering. I have experience with that sort of thing, so for me it wasn't too bad. But I can see where that would be a sticking point. Cover the neck pocket with tape before painting and finishing. The neck fits nice and snug. You'll want to avoid any extra paint build-up. The bass sounds amazing

4. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I've been soldering since the early 90's so I'm not too worried about that. I've rewired several instruments. I've done a bit of building and swapping parts but I haven't put something like this together yet. I appreciate the tip about the neck pocket.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Cool paint effect.

The most interesting thing is the "strap locks". Never seen anyone use eye hooks before. :) How do you attach the strap? carabiners?

6. haas

haas

Jan 30, 2012
    Santa Clarita, CA.
    Yep. Carabiners.

7. haas

haas

Jan 30, 2012
    Santa Clarita, CA.
    Here's a pic of the eye hook / carabiner strap lock. It works great and looks cool too

Attached Files:

8. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    It was a long long wait but boy was it worth it. Just finished her this morning. Swamp ash body with four coats of Tung Oil and some Old English to finish it off. Maple neck with an lined fretless ebony fingerboard. She went together so easily. Carvin rocks.

130526_0000.

9. haas

haas

Jan 30, 2012
    Santa Clarita, CA.
    Beautiful. The next one I do will have the natural finish. NICE