1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BK50 / Jazz Bass Electronics Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Sep 26, 2013.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hi, all. Been out of bass playing for some time, but I'm looking to start up again. First likely step: Order me up a Carvin kit bass in the next few weeks.

So, I have a couple of questions for those of you who may have experience with these or wiring and electronics for Jazz basses in general...

1) If it were up to you, would you upgrade the bass to Carvin's 18V active/passive electronics OR put in a Tonestyler passive tone control? (And why?)

2) If I were to upgrade the bass to Carvin's 18V active/passive electronics, is there any reason I couldn't also wire the bass for series/parallel operation via a push-pull volume pot?

And before anyone tries to talk me out of the Carvin kit, this is theoretically going to my my last bass, and I really want to assemble and set it up myself. Within that context, I really like Carvin's 5-string specs (34" scale, 19mm string spacing), reputation for quality, and price point.

Thanks in advance for any input, ideas, and advice!

2. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I think I should have put this in the Pickups/Electronics forum. Not sure how to move it, though. Sorry!

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    1) That's purely a matter of personal preference. I'd probably lean towards the active electronics just because I'm used to having an active setup, but there are benefits to a purely passive setup, as well. Have you used the Tonestyler before?

2) Looking at the circuit board, with the two volumes wired in separately, you might be able to do a series/parallel switch to replace one of the volumes, but I think that unless you've played a Jazz with that setup before and loved it, I'd try just playing the bass as-is first before deciding that you need to add series/parallel switching.

MIke

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for the input, Mike! Haven't used the Tonestyler before, but I am really intrigued in theory and based on some demo videos. I have mostly played passive jazz-style basses in the past. Only active bass I've owned and played for a period of time was a Peavey Cirrus. Series-parallel just sounds like a great mod for more versatility -- much like upgrading to active or adding a Tonestyler -- but I'm not sure I need any of it. Any other thoughts out there on these issues?