carvin bolt on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Jun 21, 2001.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    has anyone played a carvin bolt on with an alder body and noticed anything "weak" about it ive read reviews of the low end being weak, which cant be good for a bass guitar

ive picked up my ancient obsession with getting the kit Carvin offers and putting it together as i figure it has many advantages over a MIM fender- maybe someone with experience with a carvin can give me a warning or tell me what to expect
  2. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA

I've mostly heard good things about the Carvin bolt-ons. I've been plenty curious myself about the 5 string basses. I'm a G&L guy, but I just can't blow $1,200+ on one right now (though they're certainly worth the cash). I figured the Carvin bolt with the humbucking pickup in the bridge option is a pretty cost-effective alternative.

As for the low B, I think picking the string-thru option (which now may actually be free!) would tighten up that B string and add to the overall sustain of the bass. Between that and the humbucker in the bridge, I think you'll have one kick-butt ax for minimal cash if you do the kit thing. But why take my word for it, check these two review sites...

I'd give anything to do a side by side test of a 5 string Bolt Carvin and a 5 string G&L and/or Music Man. Anybody out there ever do a taste test?