1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin BR 510 N

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topcat2069, Apr 11, 2009.

1. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    Anyone have one of these? I have a GK set up but this thing is so light and afforable.

Anybody play through one or have played through one.
    Whats the tone like, would I need a 15" under it ?

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Look under the BX500 thread because that head is in the new Carvin combos and a couple guys have bought the combos.

3. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have one and I like it, but I am now wanting to get a 15inch speaker cab to go with it because It is a little on the high end side as far as tone goes esp. if you have the combo tilted back and also carvin told me 4 times 4 different calls that the cab was 4 ohms but it is 8 ( they were wrong), and I want to run at 500 watts not 300 watts, so If I get an 8 ohm 15 inch speaker cab then I would get more volume and low end. I did notice If you have the combo sitting flat on the floor it gets allot more thick sounding if that makes any sense, I talked to carvin about the issue about them telling me the wrong info, and they were kind of rude on the phone, if I had it to do all over again i would have gotten the 15 inch combo instead, I will say one thing I plugged the bx500 head into my swr goliath 3 speaker cab with 4 10 inch speakers, and it got really loud and thick sounding, the bx500 head does kick some butt, anyway hope this helps.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's why I bought a 15" combo and added a 2x10 for bigger gigs. I like the 15" as a standalone because I like the way it sits in a rock band mix. If I was a Jazz guy I'd probably go for the 2x10 combo and add the 15".
    Actually I think it's a good thing that you got an 8 ohm speaker in your combo. I know the head can go down to 2 ohms but I just ain't real confident about running a loud, long gig at 2 ohms, regardless of the head.

5. xbassmanx

xbassmanx

Jul 29, 2007
    I bought the BR 515N combo as well.
    The 15 definitely gives you some thickness.

I have run it paired with my Dr Bass 112 on top and also pulled the head and ran it with my 112 and a 3-way 212 (Dr Bass 2460). The later setup is 2.67 ohms load.

So far I liked the 115-112 setup best, but to be fair I haven't had much time with the 2460 cab yet.

Based on the combinations I have tried with mine I am glad I went with the BR515N instead of the BR510N.