1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BR12 Combo vs. Fender Bassman 150 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJClone, Oct 18, 2006.

1. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Does anyone have any input with respect to how these two small combo amps compare? I'm not looking for anything magical as the price point is pretty low. This will be mainly for home use as well as some possible small settings.

The fender is slightly higher in price but with shipping, etc. the difference is only about $50. It also has about 30 more watts...not a big deal. The fender also appears to have more para eq settings while the BR12 has the graphic eq and the mid setting.

Anyway, just looking for a solid, dependable, smooth sounding combo...given the price range these two boys are in.

Thanks for any input as always,
    AJ

2. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Anyone have experience with either one of these combos?

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I only have experience with the Fender, which I compared to the similarly priced Roland Cube 100 and Eden N12S (Silver Series). I bought the Roland, which IMO had much more depth and punch than the others despite a lower power rating and smaller enclosure. I was not impressed with the Fender, which sounded flat and underpowered in comparison. It was not bad; it just didn't fare well against the Roland. The Fender also can't drive an extension cabinet, which limits is use somewhat.

So I'd be tempted to give the Carvin a try if it's the only other amp you're considering, especially if it can drive an extension cabinet. Its features seem otherwise comparable to the Fender, and I would expect it to have excellent tone, albeit probably at low volume levels. I used to have a Carvin PB100-10 combo, which sounded great within its modest limits. If the new models have more efficient speakers, you should get decent volume out of it -- probably enough for your purposes.

But if you can, check out the Roland and the new SWR WorkingPro combos. I didn't like the older Workingman's combos at all, but I have a WorkingPro 1x10 cabinet, and it delivers a full, warm, clear tone. If those combos sound similar, they're worth a test drive. Lots of folks like the Ashdowns too, but I've never been impressed.

4. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Hmmm, the workingpro 12 looks interesting. I had a workingman combo that I hated. After doing some more research, I think I've brought that into the equation and have the fender on the outs....all for an in home combo. No wonder it takes me so long to make decisions on this stuff.

Edit: I should note that I hated it because it was a 15 and I really preferred the 12. I think the eq controls were a bit more limited too.