1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BRX 10.2 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toddbass65, Jan 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Toddbass65

Toddbass65 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I have been thinking of putting together a little bit larger rig for spring/summer shows at more outdoor venues. Currently I gig with my Fender Rumble 500 combo with upgraded speakers to get the full 500 watts. It is plenty for any indoor shows I do no problem.
    So I see Carvin has their "neo?" 210 cab at $299 shipped. Anythoughts on how this cab might work for my purposes? I don't want to go into a large cab as it is tough to transport, so thought this might be a possibility. I'd be looking at a Mesa Subway D800 I think to power it. Classic rock band, three piece. Anyone speak on this cab at 4 ohms and what it will do? Thanks!
    Specs from Carvin:
    - 2 heavy-duty 56 oz cast frame 300w 10" woofers
    - 1" Titanium compression HF tweeter
    - Impedance: 4 ohms, power handling: 600 Watts
    - Reproduces Frequencies from low B (28 Hz to 22k Hz)
    - Frequency response 35 to 18kHz +/- 5DB
    - Sensitivity: 101dB @ 1w and 129 dB @ 600w
    - Size: 24.5" wide x 15" deep x 17" high
    - Weight: 57 lbs

himluis1 likes this.
  2. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    hopefully we will get some input as i was looking at this cab too ... i have a bh250 ... im looking for a single cab that i could use , now the question is 4 or 8 ohms ?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    57 pounds for a 210 with Neo drivers? That can't be right.

4. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    I used one of these for my main gigging cabinet for the past two years, it's more "modern" voiced with deep lows and bright highs, and is indeed very portable. I ended up getting an Ampeg SVT212AV which works for me a little better tone-wise, but the Carvin is a tough cab to beat for the money.

himluis1 and Toddbass65 like this.
  5. Toddbass65

Oct 21, 2012
    I have a BH250 as well that I use with a little 112 cab for practice. If I end up getting the cab I'd be happy to see how it works with the BH250 for you himluis1....but might not be for a while :).

himluis1 likes this.
  6. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    thanks

7. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, just trying to understand correctly....

You have a Fender Rumble 500 combo (210's) which you modified to utilize 500 watts @4 ohms, without an extension cab.

You want something "bigger" sounding, so you're looking at a single Carvin 210, with the Mesa D800?

If that is correct, I'd assume (correct me if I'm wrong) you think more watts=more volume?
    Volume doesn't come from only watts, but also (and more so) from speaker area (the total # of speakers and/or size).

The most efficient way to accomplish a larger rig, is to switch your old speakers back into the combo, and pick up a Rumble 210 cab. The added speaker surface area will beat the volume of those "upgraded" speakers.

If you really want to change rigs, pair up more than 2-10 inch speakers with that Mesa D800 you're looking at.

Bass_Pounder likes this.
  8. That was your mistake.

You would have been much better served (and saved money) by adding an extension cab.

9. Toddbass65

Oct 21, 2012
    I know what your saying with my combo, but you need to remember that the enclosure in the combo is limited. I've thought about the switching back and adding an extension. And I may do that. But I thought the neos and a better enclosure with more power may be what I want. Just a question...I'm not sold on which way to go just yet. No idea on how much air the combo and extension will push with the 500 watts in the combo.....no problem, I don't mind the ideas :)

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Paging @Bassist4Eris - he has a pair of them. I don't think they have had neos for a while.

11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

To the best of my knowledge they are not neodymium. As @mmbongo noted, they are in fact about 60 lbs apiece. I'll use just a single cab for rehearsal, and bring both for gigs. I'm not sure how it would compare, volume-wise or otherwise, with the Rumble. I'll say this: driven by my Carvin BX500, whether using one cab or two, this rig goes way, way louder than I'll ever need it to. But then I'm a middle-aged jazz-funker, so I'm not exactly trying to shake the foundations.

Tone-wise, I'll just second what @ERicks had to say. Basically a bright, modern, hi-fi tone, which is exactly what I strive for, so they work well for me. You can also turn the tweeters down (or off altogether) which might work better for some folks.

They can handle a low B well, if that's an issue.

HTH.

12. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    That makes it easy.... so, it's a resounding NO that you'll push more air with the proposed Mesa with the Carvin 210. As far as just having more power, absolutely! Pairing the Mesa with the Carvin though, is like owning a Bugatti in Los Angeles stop-and-no-go traffic; all that torque and horsepower, but your foot never comes off the brakes!

13. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    D800 can do 2 ohms right? So if you dig it and need more volume you could grab another one. As far as the weight and stuff I think they made those cabs with Neo speakers but it seems like those have been discontinued. Mine says "Neo" right on the back.

14. TL23NC

TL23NC

May 22, 2015
    Raleigh NC
    I just bought one of the Neo versions last week off CL. It was not easy for me to figure out exactly which model this was, but because of the 48 pound weight I determined it's the discontinued Neo version. I haven't tried it on a gig yet but I'm looking forward to it. It sounds pretty good, very clean.

15. Not sure about your particular application, but I have 4 of the BRX 10.2, I use 1, 2, or 4 of them depending on the gig. BX1500 head. The cabs as others have said sound modern, full-range, and tight. The horn can be dialed down or turned off entirely. Plenty of sound. I also really like that the exteriors are very damage resistant.

himluis1 likes this.
  16. i love mine, i use a pair with an eden wt800...mine are 4 ohm and are powered by each side of my amp...i play a 4 tuned BEAD with distortion and it does just fine...they are heavy, like was previously posted, about 60 pounds each...lighter than the ampeg pr410hlf i have, for sure, and modular...i have no complaints...i haven't tried the rumble stuff

Attached Files:

himluis1 likes this.
  17. I have a BRX 10.4 at 4 ohms, maybe my input is useful to you. Essentially, it doesn't sound like anything baked in. With an Ampeg head I get Ampeg sounds. With a Peavey head I get Peavey sounds. With the Carvin head I get the sounds from my pedals because I don't use the drive or comp on it. I keep the tweeter off and play mostly 4's but it handles 5's very well.

It is basically bulletproof. I bought it used from someone who gigs a lot more than me and it still looks brand new. Not an exaggeration.

himluis1 likes this.
  18. I have owned a BRX10.2 and a 10.4 in the past and they were great, tough cabs. Don't overlook Carvin's amps, though. Light, relatively inexpensive and clear. Until my tonal preferences changed and I went Ampeg a couple of years back, I had owned quite a bit Carvin stuff without a single problem with any of it. Great for the money.

himluis1 likes this.
  19. I have a BRX 10.2 NEO which I power with my Carvin BX500 head and have used as my main gigging rig for 5 years. I have played some huge rooms and have had several soundmen take me out of the mains and said I was making the trip by myself and didn't need them. These days I'm primarily a 5 string player and have never had that cab fart out on my low B. It's a very well designed cab and I would guess that the non-NEO one would sound as good. If you like a clean tight sound with plenty of depth, it's a great cab. I love mine and it's all I need.

himluis1 likes this.
  20. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    I have the set up you are looking at. Just picked up the D-800 and use it with my Carvin Neo 10.2. I am in love. Very easy to get different tones and it gets very loud and "beefy" powerful quickly. Not as "crisp" as my Carvin BX700/Sansamp RPM rack, but comparing them would be unfair. They both rock for different reasons. Lucky me. ;)

himluis1 likes this.