1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BRX 212...any info? Any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justinb515, Nov 10, 2006.

1. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    Well, I am interested in a Carvin BRX 212, because I am sick of packing 2 cabs and an amp all over the place. This cab seems like it would be a great portable cab, and if I need more volume, I could add another cab because the amp extends to 800 watts at 2 ohms, which means I could pair this cab with a 4 ohm cab if I needed some serious volume. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I have heard some negative things about carvin speakers. If I could find one used, I would change the speakers out if I needed to, but I can't find a used one anywhere. I wouldn't do this to a new one because of warranty issues. Basically, any information on this cab would be nice, as would any alternatives. As far as alternatives go, I don't necessarily care as much about weight as much as the fact that for me, this cab is tempting because of the design. It is small yet loud, rolls like a suitcase, and has everything you need built in. And it fits in my backseat. Give me some opinions, nice alternatives, anything! Thanks guys! Oh, and here is a pic and the info from Carvin for those who don't know what I'm talking about:

BRX2121.gif

• Sealed enclosure for tight high power low end response • Two NT12 Neodymium 12" 300w speakers - front and 45 degree down-firing port loaded • heavy-duty compression horn tweeter for crisp-slap highs up to 22khz • Bi-amp high requency amplifier for horn tweeter and level adjustment. • road worthy black Duratextm covering • Deep recessed steel handles, buildin casters and tilt back handle • SPL 102dB 1W/1M Frequency Response: +/- 3dB 42 Hz - 22 kHz and -10dB@36Hz • size: 30.25"H x 16.5"W x 18"D WT: 69lbs

2. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    Oh yeah, and the price is about $850 shipped.

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I don't know about any alternatives but I played through that combo and really liked it.

I played it at the Carvin store in Azusa, CA and thought it was a nice sounding combo amp. Had I seen this before I went to the BMax/Crown/Avatar rig that I have now. I would have bought one of these instead. It has the B800 head built in and it can power an extention cab.

I think the new Carvin stuff is much improved over the old Redline series. I have not heard anything negative about the speakers in these new BRX cabs. It's put together quite nicely. Again, I was impressed with it.

4. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    Yeah, I made a 210 cab myself using the carvin 10" neos, which I believe have the same voice coil as the 12 in the brx 212. I was very impressed with them as well. It just seems to be such a good cab design, seems like some boutique company, or any other company for that matter, would offer a similar setup. Thanks for the response!

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've always shied away from combos, but all things considered it looks like a killer setup to me. Great head with lots of power and a high spec, a design that acoustically shades one of the two woofers, vertical speaker placement, NO RAT FUR ... Go for it!

6. Hey srx, did you like the tones that you got from it? I am looking at just getting the head, which right now you get the free footswitch with B800 heads, limited time offer.

7. there is nothing that comes close to this in volume, portability, and price. I have been eyeing this combo as well, but decided to get seperate head + cab. The only thing I didn't like about this combo was, it is really narrow. It would look silly on top of another cab or another cab on top of it. I have not seen anything negative about Carvin except for comments reguarding their customer service, which I have no major issues with.

8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    You may want to take a look at the Schroeder Cabinets "Air Head" option. Basically, it extends the Schroeder cabinet height and leaves an open "rack-like" space for the head of your choice.

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/options.htm

Cheers,
    Kevin

9. I know LDS would build an "Air Head" cabinet too, which would allow you to use whatever amplifier you wanted to and they would build the cabinet to your specs using your choice of speakers. I'm working with Don right now to have mine built. 3 week turnaround too.

Dr. Bass will do the same thing and I've heard Marc's getting his build time down too.

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The upside of it being tall and narrow is that it's easier to hear, it's easier to carry through doorways and up staircases and it's easier to roll along the ground.

The only downside is if you're looking to stack it on a squat cab are are worried what that looks like! Stack it on another slim cab and it'll look right and disperse the sound the right way.

Alex

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Easier to get in a car, actually works better on small-footprint stages etc etc {I hear guys talking about bringing a smaller cab when they play on a teensy stage, but you really aren't making any more room if the cab is shorter but just as wide ; }

I wouldn't be worrying to much about extension cab matching - there are cabs in the same width (at least when they are placed in vertical alignment which as Alex says is a good idea).

12. Different strokes for different folks. I guess I am too selfconscious. But, I am also used to the wider demensions. I would rather have 1 4-10" cab than 4 1-10" cabs stacked on top of each other. IMO, I think it looks ridiculous.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I would never buy a 410 combo ; }

Defeats the whole idea of a combo. I would however consider a well-designed 212 combo with 800 watts. That is going to be one happenin' sound, plenty of headroom and some pretty good speaker efficency/sensitivity.

14. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's why you're a victim and I'm not. ;)

I've been using one or two vertically stacked 2x10" cabs for years. Much better sound than a square 4x10" which is foiled by numerous acoustic laws regarding dispersion and comb filtering. Conventional 4x10" cabs are a good idea when it comes to looks and marketing but that's about it.

Anyway, I find the audience care much more about what the players look like than their amps' appearance!

Alex

15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    it may look ridiculous, but generally preferred to have speakers vertically stacked rather than horizontally, or in conventional 410 type config ... reduces the stage coupling effect in a boomy room situatioon, raises speakers closer to ear for monitoring (as mentioned) and better line array sound dispersal (as mentioned) ... also a simple cure for your extension cab not aestheticly matching is to put it on the other side of the stage/drum kit ... helps stage monitoring for others playing that way as well, especially if you are not DI into the monitor mix ...

16. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Though the downside of splitting up any low frequency sources is that you get phase reinforcement and cancellation patterns across the stage and venue - which equates to huge bass in one position, move a couple of feet and you get no bass, move again and huge bass, etc etc...

Unfortunately too few sound engineers know this and you get the subwoofers being set up either side of the stage and this problem occurs really badly. Small/medium venues need the subs all grouped together - even if it doesn't look cool!

Alex

17. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    good point ... I have experienced what you are describing, but have also had it work in a certain stage/room settings ... it works quite well in my current church situation where we have a V shaped stage/room and two distinct rows of pews, and no PA support, and at times play very low volumes ... but I agree with you ... it should generally be together ...

EDIT to apologize for the bit of thread wander ... :)

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Subs don't need to be stacked normally. In fact you want well-chosen boundary effects with them whenever possible.

19. Why haven't manufacturers caught on to this? I am not familiar with the physics of this nor have a stacked 4 1-10" cabs next to 1 4-10" cab for comparison, but this seems to be a good question for everyone's opinion. For me, not having a lot of bread, I have to take what I can get. Multiple cabs mean multiple cables, or more money, I do fancy the carvin head though and will be getting the 2-12" Neo from Avatar. Gear donations are accepted.

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    They have. And you just berated them for it ; }

Carvin and Genz Benz are two examples of companies building vertical enclosures, and Euphonic Audio as well. And that's just in bass cabs category, it's a lot more prevalent in the educated SR market.