1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BRX Neo Cab tone report

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vinxbass, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Well I had an outdoor gig Saturday and got to use my new Carvin BRX10.4 Neo cab outside. I've got to be honest here, I was skeptical at first, but after hearing this Neo perform at high volumes it's an outstanding cabinet. Just so you know, when I was looking to buy a Neo cab, I played thru the Avatar B410 Neo, and decided on the Carvin because of the clarity of the multiple notes being played at the same time - you can hear every note super clear and clean. When slapping and popping notes, OMG they are so loud and clear that it's amazing.

Here's a pic of my rig, I'm running a Carvin BX1200 head 4 ohms bridged at 1200 watts RMS, and this cabinest sounded very tight, with extremely articulate low B presence, the bass responce is incredible. The notes on all the other strings were so punchy it made my stomack rumble. This is definitely a quality cab at a resonable price. The Avatar's about $190 cheaper, but again I think you get what you pay for. The Carvin was $592. for the cab and casters out the door, tax and all. I bought it at the Carvin Sacramento store, which BTW is a real top notch store.

I'm very pleased with this Neo cab, to say the least. In closing all I've got to say is don't let anybody fool you, I've played professionally for 34 yrs and the BRX10.4 Neo cabs by Carvin are top notch.:)
    102_0028.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I don't doubt it in the least. From everything I've gathered, the Carvin BRX line is still way under the radar of most players - and way underrated.

Rock that baby! :cool:

MM

3. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    They are great cabs, cheers!

4. Ironically my first gig was also an outdoor gig with the same setup and while i was through the 2nd song i was like "i am so glad i paid for this" :)

5. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    What's the cabinet made of? Is it poly?

6. According to Carvin it's a computer tuned 13-ply hardwood enclosure. The cab is tuned down to 28 and 26 Hz respectively, reaching below the low B string frequency. The horn driver is made of 1" titanium.

7. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Nice rig!!

8. Yeah, don't be fooled by it being a Carvin, this rig sounds pretty amazing. Like I mentioned previously, I've played thru many different rigs in my day, and this by far is the best one.;)

9. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Carvin is bashed a lot. The truth is they deliver great products at a great price. They may not be the best, but comparing similar price products, IMO Carvin blows that market out of the water.

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A lot of cab for the money! Love the finish.

I wonder what frequency they really are tuned to? Can you get a tape measure into the port to see how far back it goes?

Alex

11. I totally agree, Carvin's strength is in their pro audio department, but they do make excellent amps. The BX1200 Head was giving an Editor's Award by Bass Player Mag, and this Neo bottom has been given very high ratings in the industry.;)

It measures at 17.5" into the port. Also, the cab is finished in DuraTex scratch resistant weatherproof polyurethane, which is the stuff they make truck beds out of.;)

12. Yes, it does in the full range or bi-amped mode. It only goes to 4 or 8 ohms in bridged. I'm running it now at 4 ohms at 1200 watts rms bridged. Before I bought the BRX10.4 Neo, I was using Carvin's BR410 and BR118 bottoms at 8 ohms and that sounded very good, but yes it does go to 2 ohms. At 8 ohms with the 2 cabinets it was 275 watts to the BR410 and 400 watts to the BR118. It's a totally different amp, though at 4 ohms with the BRX10.4 Neo bridged.;)