Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin BRX NEO cabs -- anyone try these yet???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hollar, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    OK,

So the new Carvin magazine showed up...they've got a 4x10 cab (BRX10.4NEO) that claims to handle 1,200 watts at 4 Ohms...has nice sensitivity and frequency response ratings...weighs only 76 pounds...and has cool built-in casters.

All this for $699??? (Plus shipping)

Anybody dare to order one of these yet???

This looks like the right kind of gig box for what I do...and I'd love to hear a review...

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sorry, I haven't tried them. But for $431 shipped, you can get an Avatar B410 Neo with the same power handling, and it weighs in at only 65lbs. I don't see why the Carvin is almost $300 more for practically the same thing. Isn't carvin supposed to be less expensive considering it is factory direct?

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  4. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    that is not the NEO he is talking about. They are not yet on the Carvin website.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

It isn't? I don't see a difference from the info he posted? Were is the info for the NEO he is talking about?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was just gonna post about this and the new B800 mono block amp! Looks like it's gonna take the place of the B500.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Where are you guys finding this info if it isn't on the website?

8. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Currently only in the new catalog. Should be on the website shortly. His original info was correct. I have no experience with either cab though, so I can't comment on either one.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If the cabs were identical, you'd be absolutely right. But what makes you think they are? Not all neo drivers are alike, and not all cabs are alike. if the Carvin is a better cab the Avatar is not a better deal. After all, is a Squier a better deal than a Sadowsky? They both have four strings, and two PUs, and you're paying less per string and PU with the Squier. (I'm not trashing you or Sadowsky. I'm just saying, what determines whether these cabs are a deal will have to depend on how well they actually perform. One neo 4-10 is not necessarily the same as another.)

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Looks like it. That little 1-12 combo looks sweet too. I've always wanted a small amp that had some real oomph to it, and maybe this one will.

These are so new that probably no one here has heard them yet. But as someone who owns the B1500, i'd say that if the B800 and the corresponding speakers are in the same league as the B1500 quality-wise (which remains to be seen), they're definitely going to be worth considering in that price range. If that little combo is half as good as I hope it is, it ought to wipe the floor (for my tastes, anyway) with things like the SWR Workingman 12.

11. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    From the catalog:

Carvin BRX10.4NEO $699.99 +

4 Neodymium 300w 10" woofers
    HF driver up to 22k Hz
    heavy duty crossover with speakon connecters
    6 position horn attenuation ( -3, -6, -12, -24db, off, or full on)
    Imp: 4 ohm
    Power Handling: 1200 watts
    Reproduces frequencies from low B (26Hz to 22k Hz)
    Sensitivity: 104db @ 1w and 135db @ 1200w
    Size: 24w X 27.75h X 18d
    Weight: 76lbs

It has to heavy duty 3 1/2" casters built in to the side with deep recessed steel handles. Front ported.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I can agree with you to a point. But just looking specifically at the tech data of the two cabs, they seem virtually identical to me. If I was shopping online for a new cab, which I did, and compared the two of these side by side, the avatar seems better for the money to me. IMHO of course.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Specs don't tell the whole story.

Specs are just that, specs. Nothing more. Specs cannot tell you how a cab will perform in real world situations. They can't tell you the tone a cab will give you.

Haven't we all seen/tried products over the years that had great specs and then when we tried them they just didn't live up to expectations? The only way to know for sure is to try both cabs. Then you will know if it is the better one for you.

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I also agree with you here. However, I when I was shopping for a 410 Neo, the price of these two cabs were right where I wanted to be. Unfortunetly, since they are only available to me through mail order, I only had the specs to go on. The seemed to be of similar quality with similar specs, and a decent amount of online reveiws for both of them. My conclusion was that the avatar was the better deal for me...

15. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    As the owner of a Carvin BRX12 cab I can say that these cabs are a winner. No carpet! Sealed crossover plate. The BRX line is a tour ready cabinet. Very deep sounding. Mine has a 20" depth. Close to perfect for me as you can get IMO except for the handles being mounted too low which I turned the handles around & that solved the problem.

I posted this question on the CBBS & got only one intelligent response. So I'll post it here as well.

How do you lift the new BRX10.4 cab into your vehicle w/the handles being on top? Do you bear hug the thing or pivot @ your hip or what? The 210 has top handles but w/it's short height dosen't look to be a problem.

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. :confused: The Carvin Neo's are brand spankin' new so there isn't a lot of reviews on them yet. Heck, I couldn't find one review for Carvin's 410 Neo even on their forum.

17. Washishimi

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I had a custom made 412 once with top mounted handles (similar to the neo carvin neo's) and found it just as easy. Grabbed both handles, lifted the weight with my right arm and sopported the weight with my left, kind if rest it on the knee/thigh area, and then slid it in the back seat sideways. Sounds more difficult than it is and in some ways found it easier than the conventional side mounted handles, but really not too different.

18. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Good responses -- just hoping to find someone who actually tried the darn thing! I figured somebody around here would be the first to jump in the lake...

I hated the Red Line amp I bought years ago -- the R600 head, 2x10 and 1x15. It sounded fine in my basement but wilted on stage. It had a decent sound...just not enough of it.

From this experience, I learned that the Carvin speakers and cabinets were probably their best products. The amplifiers and preamps (bass, PA whatever) seemed to sound "cheap" and not clear or with as much headroom as say the similarly priced Mackie or Yamaha products.

I've been in several bands that use Carvin gear. The band I currently play in has a bunch of Carvin cabs and amps -- and everything sounds pretty good. The stuff is also relatively portable too.

I have to say though that the cool wheely dealy 12 BRX combo would be sweet on jazz gigs...and the new NEO 2x10's and 4x10s look substantial. Lemme know if anybody plays through them...

I wasn't hip to the Avatar cabinets -- I'll check those out -- thanks.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Big thumbs up to Carvin for spec'ing out the max SPL.
    See it in their catalog.
    You can also usually pick up their specs in the manual section at their site but they don't have the new speakers there yet.

The spec do tell you how the cabinet will perform in real world situations. Given a manufacturers specs, you can compare this to other cabinets and make a determination of how the cabinet will compare to others in the real world. Problem is other bass manufacturers just don't measure their cabinets.

Pro-sound cabs do usually measure. No pro sound engineer would spec out a sound-reinforcement system with just their ears.

You can't possible test a cabinet in a store for how it will perform in the real world, and you can't possibly test it yourself in all the venues you may play. So if manufacturers would give typical and max ratings it'd sure help to compare cabinets.

You could say a Carvin has "... specs" and an Avatar has "... specs" and I know how the Avatar performs for the venues I've been on, so I can compare the specs to see how the Carvin will behave.

20. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    That little combo interests me too, as well as the 2x12 version with the second downfiring speaker. I'd love to get a combo amp I could carry into a club, plug-in, and be done. I'm getting tired of the head+cab setup, especially in the small venues I play. I just need something that can keep up the volume with headroom to spare when I play gigs in hole-in-the-wall bars without PA support. I've been looking at the Genz Benz Neo 112 combo amp but it's a lot more expensive.