1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BRX Neo Cabs who's played thru em?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vinxbass, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Does anyone own one of these, how do they sound?

I need a 4x10 Neo Cab and I'm thinking of buying the Carvin BRX 410. I've got an account there so it would be much easier financially. I've looked at the Avatar Neo 4x10 and it's $409 plus shipping, I can get the Carvin from their Sacramento store for $587.23 out the door, that's tax and all. The Carvin neo's are made by BC Speaker company which makes high end speakers for certain companys. I've played thru the Avatar and it sounded super nice, but the Carvin looks very tempting.

Right now I'm playing thru a Carvin SBR1018 which is their BX1200 head w/4x10 and 1x18 cab. Most places I play I only need the BR410, but it doesn't have enough of the deep lows that I really need and the neo 4x10 cab would give it to me. The stock Carvin cabs are 8 ohms and their neo is 4ohms, a bit more power. Anywaze your thoughts.

2. Bump

3. Gary deWilde

Gary deWilde

Aug 11, 2008
    I use a 2.10 Neo & love it. Will add another soon. Chose 2.10 over the 4.10 because I have no vehicle that can transport a cab that size.

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Are you sure about that? How do you know?

Some of their drivers look like B&C, and others look like Eminence. The 18" and 15" drivers they sell on the pro audio/accessories page look like B&C, but the 10" looks like an Eminance. The BXR 410 (10.4) looks like it has Eminence 2510's in it. Notice the shiny metallic ring around the edge of the drivers in the 410 pic? Looks like Eminence to me.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    From everything I've gathered - and I've been checking into both brands - I think you're going to be more impressed with the Carvin BRX. The modest additional expense should be well worth it.

If you have an amp of sufficient power, that can handle a 2-ohm load, consider getting two BRX 10.2 cabs. More portable, more modular, can draw more power.

That's my take... :meh:

MM

6. After looking closer into it, it looks like I was given wrong information about the B&C speakers, the salesperson for Carvin is who told me they were B&C speakers. I emailed B&C and they told me that they don't ship to Carvin. Well if their Eminance that's still a good speaker. I know this the BRX10.4 sounds great.

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I know they used to use Eminence in the first edition of the BRX cabs, the ones with the tilt back handle & wheels. These days, the speakers are of a different brand. On their site, they don't show a pic of the replacement Neo 10's like they used to a month ago. But here is a link to their Neo 15...if anyone can recongnize it:
    https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=NE15-4

Also, if you are looking to save some scratch, Carvin has an ebay store that has a Neo 410 on it RIGHT NOW for $480, looks like it was a returned item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-BRX10-4N...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

8. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
  9. I use a BRX 2.10 (with an older Carvin 210) and love it. Great cab.

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have a 10.2, I very much like it.

11. I sure hope that's what they use. That's what the manager at the Carvin Sac store told me, that they use B&C speakers.

12. Just got my new Carvin catalog and it they will now upgrade the BR cabs with Neo's.. I would say these new BR cabs with the choice of colored tolex and neo's are now a direct Avatar competitor.

13. No doubt, before I purchased my BRX10.4 Neo from Carvin, I played thru the Avatar B212 and B410 Neo cabs. I went with the Carvin because when playing chords or multiple notes at the same time you can hear each note clearly and distinctively with the Carvin, that was the kicker. But don't get me wrong the Avatar still is a very nice sounding cab.