1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin BRX212 Combo Discontinued

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Cat, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I was just told by Carvin CS that the BRX212 is being discontinued. They have a few left.

2. Damn, I better get one now. I was gonna wait a little longer.

3. I keep hoping they'll come out w/ a rackmount B800. I absolutely have no use for all the power of the 1500. This combo is pretty cool too.

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Too bad. I've always wanted to try one of those. I've got a Schroeder 1212R that just kills and have always wondered how the BRX212 compared.

5. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    ok what can anyone tell me about this amp? good? bad? I've never owned Carvin nor used them.

6. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I've had one in use for two years, and it has performed flawlessly. I'm sorry to learn they are discontinuing it. MY

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's a pretty cool design. For something in its weight class it actually gets the midrange and treble up where you can hear it even when you are standing pretty close, and it's easy to schlep around. It's got a great head that just about anyone with fingers can dial in a monster tone with.

It's a shame that less-capable combos with ho-hum designs have outsold it.

8. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    A***g comes to mind. That 15 is mud city!

9. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I have one. It has the B800 head with 2 12" neos. As stated earlier, dead simple to dial in your tone. I played it once at an outdoor gig we had. Prior to that I was using my Carvin PB200 combo with 15" speaker.

When I used the BRX212, I was wireless and walking around. The owner complained that the band was too loud. I asked her "what instrument"? She replied " The bass"

I don't even think she knew who was playing the bass....

Funny.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX212&CID=BRX

Mike

10. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    eBay had a few being offered by Carvin there. They were taking best offers too. You could probably get one at a great price that way.

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Why are discontinuing the BRX stuff? Is it really not selling well? It seemed like everybody was buying those B800 heads, even before they were discontinued and the buying frenzy started. and now the BRX 212 combo . Hmmmm? Weird?:confused:

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Carvin truly doesn't seem to have a good sense of what's right to keep on and what's not. When they first redesigned the BRX-series they have a 2x12" cabinet... discontinued within months. Now the BRX212, which has gotten great reviews from both magazines and online forums... discontinued.

It's not even so much a matter of if they're selling in huge amounts - gear that gets great reviews draws people to the company who might not afford that piece, but will keep others and their basses in possible consumer's heads. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they discontinued the Icon line of basses and new soapbar/preamps and left us back with the '80s-esque LB-series. :rollno:

13. pauldebass

pauldebass

May 8, 2006
    I have a brx212 and love it for one main reason... it's deceptive. I've gotten calls for gigs... "oh just bring a small amp... we're not loud" only to blow the speaker out my boutique combo amp (happened more than once). Now I'll go into the gig, they only see the one 12 (the other fires down.. kind a hidden) and I get the nod of approval from the band leader. Yet this amp can get pretty loud if need be. Plus it is so easy to transport... two wheels in the back and a handle that comes up so it like it's own dolly. the outside material is bullet proof, i think it's the stuff they coat pickup tuck beds with. the sound is great for it's size

14. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Yep, the BRX212 is a great amp. I almost said great little amp, but I don't want to suggest that it is small in any way other than physical size. For me, my load in and set up takes maybe 5 minutes, and I am down and out in fewer. Love the tone, the headroom. I have seen the clip light, but that was during the "getting to know you" phase of my relationship with the amp. Now that I've wrapped my head around it pretty well, no clipping. The sealed cab puts out plenty of percieved low end for the tone I go for. I am not a "thick fog of bass" guy, but more of a "jaco burp, with slightly more low end" guy.

Buy one while they still exist!

Lee