carvin bunny brunel 5 string fretless... ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troll, Dec 5, 2000.

1. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    i was thinking of grabbin a bunny brunel 5 string fretless in walnut with two single coil J pickups off of

any owned any? heard any? have any comments? worth the cash? i currently own an american jazz fretless 4 and like it but its just not meaty and buzzy enough for my tastes. and for the music i'm doing now i NEED a 5 string. ive been saving for a cirrus 5 fretted for my normal work but this fretless has caught my eye and i can just as easily use a fretless for what i'm doing. the fretted was more of a toy for slapping etc. and i have a 5 fretted i am using thats fine. so any help is greatly appreciated. i have cash to spend right now!@ :)
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I personally now someone who owns 2 fretless carvins, one of which is a Bunny Brunel fretless as well as a freted model. He absolutely swears by them and will not play anything else. From what I've played on them there great(if your into fretless that is). From what I understand they also have a decent return policy and are one of the few fretless makers to offer a more durable ebony fingerboard instead of the standard rosewood or pau farro.I recommend it highly if you plan on using roundwound strings (instead of flatwounds like most people moving from freted to fretless don't)since they tend to wear down the fingerboard more.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    carvin's website has an mp3 of bunny brunel playing his bass. Most of it is him playing fretted, but towards the end he plays fretless for a bit. You should check it out.