1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Bunny Brunel 5..umm..WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    With all the talk of the SB basses and the Brian Bromberg basses, I happened to walk into a local shop the other day and noticed a Bunny Brunel 5 sitting there.

Now, I've owned and gigged just about the best of the best in basses.

I was STUNNED at this Carvin.
    Played like a million bucks and sounded awesome. It's used (obviously) and completely stock so I can't comment on the "new" build quality, but it's a VERY well made bass.
    It's an older one because it has the old Wilkenson bridge. It has the "Jazz" style pick-up which were dead quiet. Kinda reminded me of EMG's - which I like.

I assume it's an ash body. It has a trans blue burst finish and you can see some grain and an ebony finger board.

I may go back and get it.
    It's seriously a badarse instrument at ANY price.

Man, give the Bunny some LOVE!!!!!!

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I'll play!

[​IMG]

My old BB-75 in vintage yellow. Wish I still had it. GREAT bass!! Light and extremely well balanced!

3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    How does the Carvin MM style pup compare to the EBMM?

4. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Can't say.. I've never had the chance to A/B them.

Here are the specs for the Carvin pup:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/HB4

5. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Check out the Carvin forum. There are some honest comparison reviews there. I think the consensus is that they are not quite as hot as the EBMM's. And of course you have a different pre-amp....both 18v though I believe....at least the Bongo is 18v

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Best 5 string I've played. 19mm spacing, asymetrical neck with flat finger board. I was gonna swap electronics when I got mine due to lots of less than stellar reviews of Carvin's default sound......until I sat down and actually played it. Loved the sound from the first time I played it.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Those things are a steal used. There was a like brand new one in the emporium in Cherry Burst for $500. I just missed getting it. It was the latest version, too. Missing that one hurt :)

8. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is just more proof that great performance does not always come with a huge price tag and snob appeal. As I have been saying for a while, let your hands and ears be your judge. If you get a great bass for $500, don't assume that the $4,000 one is going be better for you.

10. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Man, I've been saying that for years.
    I was just surprised by the bass. Not to imply that they make bad stuff at all. Just it IMO is as good as a lot of others costing tons more.

I don't really have the cash to spare, but I may put it on layaway.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope you get it. Having heard your playing through clips, I know you would get the most out of it.

12. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I can attest to the Carvin quality, sound ans feel.

I played a LB75 (with 5W option, same wide neck as BB75)

Mine was an older one with the H50N humbuckers in single coil shape.

It's still an all-time favorite.

I loved the clarity of the pickups, though some poeple call it "sterile":eyebrow:

Why is that quality "clear and uncolored" if it's an amp, but "sterile" if speaking of pickups?
    or was it anti-Carvin snobbery all along?

13. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Can anyone confirm if the Bunny bass has the same electronics as their standard LB75?

14. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Yes, the BB and the LB series have the same electronics. The current BB offerings have a MM style pickup in the bridge position instead of a J pickup by default, but they're otherwise the same.

A 90's era Carvin obviously won't have the current 18V preamp, but the BB will have the same 9V preamp as their other basses from that era.

15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I don't even know anymore how many basses I've sent back (including a limited edition Smith) because they didn't do anything my Bunny couldn't do. It is my main player, and really has been since the day I got it here from SparkDog (thanx again!). Great, GREAT bass.

DSCF8844.

16. Bass player in a band I once was in had a BB75 and just raved over it. His was the reason that I ended up buying a TL60 and a Bolt Plus Carvin guitar and a B5 bass. It was an excellent instrument. Carvin are as good as most anything out there.

BnB

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Sounds like it has the original H50 pickups, which I like a lot. Does it have the two band or three band EQ? Either way, IMO, these are great basses, passed over by many these days because of all the excitement about the latest Carvins.

18. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    This thread isn't too old to ask...so did you end up getting the bass? I have a BB75 with the older Wilkinson bridge and I recently replaced it with an ABM bridge just for my sanity of adjusting.

And I love the sound too but I wanted more range...so I put in some Bill Lawrence jazz pickups in them and the bass came alive tone wise. I hate when I read that people say Carvin's pickups/sound is "sterile" or bland. It's very good actually but if you want more dynamic range of tone...then they are a little limited.

I love these basses. Best trade I've ever done with a guy off Craigslist for an old 4 string I had...he said he couldn't get used to the 5 string thing. OH yeah...if you don't have the optional mid range control in the BB75 you may or not purchase, I've heard that you are extremely limited with aftermarket pickups using the existing active system from Carvin. Mine had it...so it was pretty easy to do and I'm not a solder pro.

19. Chatdawg

Chatdawg

Jan 26, 2013
    I will be ordering one of these soon. Wanted one for years.

20. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Holy thread resurrection... I have a 4 and a 6 already, pic below (the 4 needs a bath..). But I have a collector impulse to get a 5 string also to round out the set lol.

The one mistake I made with these 2 is I didn't order the coil splitting switch for either one, sometimes I'd like a single coil sound, especially on the 4 string. So that may give me an excuse one day to get a 5 with the switch on it...

LS

Attached Files: