Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Bunny Brunel Six!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Anyone play one of these?, 'cause I'm ordering one next month. I'ts gonna have an ash body/w a walnut top and ebony fingerboard(if avialable). and a J/MM pickup configuration. it will be 18v. Any feedback from Carvin players is greatly appreciated. :bassist:

2. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I haven't played any of the Bunny signature series. I have tried out many other Carvins. I especially like the 5 string kit. I'm only a beginner bassist, been playing on a used pbass. When I get a new or better bass I have narrowed it down to either an Ibanez BTB or the Carvin kit.

Have you watched the advertisment video files Carvin puts out for those Bunny Brunel basses. Pretty cool stuff.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm not a big fan of the BB line looks. But whatever floats yer boat.

My Carvin B4 should be coming in 20ish days . . . :hyper:

4. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I own an LB75P and an XB75P. My next Carvin will probably be a BB76P. From my experience all of the neck through Carvin models are amazing. The quality is top notch and the playability is superb. Some people don't like the electronics, I have never had an issue with them, but they are replaceable easily enough if you do anyhow.

Ebony is not only available, it is standard for Carvins fretboards.

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah, I own the BB video but you know how signature basses dont sound the same if YOU own one, thats why I enlist help from you guys :D . A friend of mine bought the WHOLE Marcus Miller set-up to recreate that "Miller" tone(dont ask me why) and still it was a lot different. I know most signature series are "cosmetics" at most. Bunny's carvin sounds awesome. :bassist:

6. It's all in the hands :p ...

Hello Snarf!

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I had a BB76P for a while. It had a maple/walnut laminated neck and walnut body sides. It played great and sounded awesome. But it was heavy, and it started to gather dust when I got my Matt Pulcinella Level 6... so I sold it. :(

One of these days I'll get a fretless BB76FP. Maybe when the wife's not looking!

You should have no trouble getting the ash body, walnut top, ebony fingerboard combo from Carvin.

8. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I spent a whole day at the Carvin store playing them. I love how they look and the necks are fantastic. They just were too bright for me. I bought a nice fretless model from them.

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Danm!!! Wish I'd have been around when you sold it. I know carvin has quality basses and I have heard of the electronics being a little dry but good wood and neck combo's DO make difference(I respectfully learned from Mike Tobias) AND whether they're neck-through or bolt on. The bunny's are neck-throughs I think, which I am NOT a fan of, But I'll see of Carvin will do a bolt-on,

10. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    They're very nice sounding basses. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I had a BB 5 string.. Good bass!!

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, there's no way Carvin would do a bolt-on Bunny 6. That would basically mean tooling up for a whole new instrument. Remember, they're a factory that offers a large number of options; they're not a couple of elves in a workshop who'll do anything you can think of as a one-off job.

But having owned several Carvin 6s, I can say that the value and quality are high. There's a very good chance you'll like the Bunny just the way it is, neck-through and all.

One thing: are you set on the wood combo? That combination sounds is if it could end up being a tad on the bright side, which is cool if that's what you want of course. And are you getting the one-piece maple neck or a 5-piece laminate?

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hey, I know you! :p

And if you want a bolt-on Carvin, go for a B4 or B5. They don't make bolt sixes though.

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Warmer tone is more of what I'm looking for and yes I'm ging with the five piece neck. Satin finish on the neck and body. If those two woods are gonna produce too bright then I'll need a wood thats warmer.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    one thing i like about the BB is the extented upper horn. very nice :)

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It's not an absolute thing. That is, ash doesn't always equal bright, and mahogany doesn't always equal warm, blah blah blah. A bass is a system, and a number of things play a role in the tone.

That said, though, I think wood is one of the factors, though maybe not the overwhelming or predominant one. My own tendency would be to go with, say, koa as a body wood rather than ash. But YMMV. You also have to consider that body wood may not make as much of a difference on a neckthrough as on a bolt on, since the neck on which the bridge and the PUs are mounted remains the same.

Just my $0.02.

17. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    If you want a warmer tone your going to need a rosewood fingerboard or to play with flats. Have you ever played a Carvin before? Some people dig the brightness and others are dissapointed. I'm not trying to presuade you from buying one, but I've seen people on this forum buy them and then return them because of the brightness.

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My bias is that body wood is gonna make more of a difference than FB wood. But the flats are a good idea. Even if flats are not an option, trying different brands of rounds is a good thing, because not all of them sound alike (e.g., stainless steel vs nickel). Or trying different gauges, or different brands. Strings are an underrated way of adjusting the sound of a bass.

19. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    That is a common argue point amongst bass players. From my experiance finger board wood has much more to do with the brightness of a bass then body wood. But to each his/her own opinion.

20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Had a BB75 that I really regret selling. Plus it was 100% dark Koa, something they won't make for you anymore.

They've actually offered the BB76 for a number of years, but just didn't bother to list it in the Carvin catalog (Bunny himself informed me of it in an email several years ago when I asked him about his meantion of it in an interview).

I'd love to get one except they don't offer it in the matching wide string spacing of the BB75. It's the same spacing as the LB76. I've owned a LB76 and the spacing was just too narrow. I wouldn't mind the XB (35 1/4" scale) option on the BB75 or BB76 either.:crying: