1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin bunny in a mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unclejane, Oct 1, 2009.

1. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    For you carvin bunny fans, here's another clip of my BB76F in an experiment to see how it works in a mix.
    I started messing with this yesterday and I was so impressed with how well it works in a groove I went ahead and recorded it. I also couldn't resist putting some phase shift on it, GarageBand's phaser just sounded too good to leave it out.

Vitals:
    - BB76F, TI jazz flats
    - bridge HB solo, active mode, all EQ flat.
    - running through my GK 1001RBII direct into my mac.
    - in GB, "DI mid" amp sim, phase shift, some EQ to take out the treble.
    - harmonics same but chorus used rather than phase shift.
    - all the other little floaty things/drums courtesy of GarageBand.

I keep on being shocked and amazed at how smoothly the bunny works for recording. It's almost like it's got its own compression built into it ;). It does lack the agression of my G&L's, but it's so smooth and quiet I don't care....

LS

2. Nice playing! :cool:

Do you have pics of the bass? One of my favorite basses that I had to let go was a BB70P. I could live without the piezo, but I really loved the neck and body shape.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The was.......sweeeeeeet!

4. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Oh yeah, here it is, plain-jane except the 5 piece neck and unlined FL fingerboard.

I thought about the piezo option until I discovered that you're restricted to stringing through-body with it. I'm always turning down the treble anyway ;)

LS

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Nice, thanks for the clip. It's interesting, because the HBs are my least favorite Carvin pickups, but that sounded fantastic. :)

6. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    To be honest I wasn't particularly devoted to the HB in the bridge position for any other reason than I have to have a ramp-like thing right in that area for fit reasons. So that's reason #1 I got the HB there.
    I wasn't as concerned about the tone of the PU itself except that I always pluck over the PU for a clean sound. So it's just as well to have a PU there and kill 2 birds with one stone. That way I don't need to add a ramp (like I did on my tobias that really helped).

But it's actually turning out to be a great combo because you have a MM style fat HB coupled with a neck-through design with a totally flat, dead sound acoustically (my preference). That sort of calms the HB down and gives this wonderful smooth sound but that can also give a pretty decent pop. Through my GK cranked up it's a like a gunshot......

But this smooth kind of hi-fi-ness I just could never achieve with my G&Ls - there was always this kind of hollowness to the sound that I could never get rid of (sort of a characteristic of Fender designs that makes them so distinctive and wonderful in their own way).

The bunny with the humbucker really eliminates that and gives a very smooth sound.

And if I start fiddling with the sweepable mids in the preamp or dialing in the neck PU, things get _really_ wild in a hurry. You can dial in a monster mid, scoop whatever you want. All with no buzzing or hissing.....

LS