Carvin Buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deicide666, Aug 14, 2000.

1. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Im running a Carvin ProBass 500 head through a 4 ohm 2x10 cab and an 8 ohm 1x15 cab. When i play at lower levels its fine, but when i turn it up a bit (to like 3 or 4) i get a buzz or rattle(?) from it. I think its coming from the 2x10 but im not sure. Any advice?
    Also, my cabs say they can handle 400 watts (thats the lower of the two) and I'm only putting out 250 watts at most right now (not bridged). When i cranked it, I thought they would be fine, but they distorted like hell. Why cant a 400 watt cab run cleanly through 250 watts of power? Thanks for any help.
  2. OK, I think this was covered on another thread,but when you hook up a 4 Ohm speaker to an 8 Ohm speaker,you are running the amp at 2.67 Ohms.Perhaps the Carvin can't take that low of an Ohmage.Also the distribution of power to the different cabs is not equal unless you are Bi-Amping.
    I'm no techie, this is bassically what I have learned on this website. I'm sure someone out there can give you a better answer. Anyone???
  3. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Running them both like that the 2x10 is getting twice the power of the 1x15 and he is right about maybe running the amp to too low of an impedance. Also, if you are running only 250 watts to cabinets that by themselves can handle 400 you may just be underpowering them and that can create the distortion. It is actually better to slightly over power a cab than underpower it. It might be a good idea to get an 8 ohm 2x10 instead of the 4 cause you want more power or at least equal going to the 15 to produce the low notes well.
  4. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Well i do have it biamped, but the thing about the ohms does make a lot of sense. Is there anything i can do without buying a new cab alltogether? I was thinking of selling the whole thing for an SWR megoliath, but not for quite a while. And the price tag on the thing. Damn!
  5. Deicide 666
    I also use a Carvin Pro Bass 500 and a five string. I'm wondering if it's all come togher and if so, what you've ended up with ie EQ settings, which cabs and so on. I love the overall tone of the Carvin but I'm having problems with a very wavery signal sound from the low end. Thank you.
  6. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Well I just used the crossover to kill some of the signal going 2 the top cab. This helped a bit, but im still looking to replace the 2x10...maybe a 4x10 or sell the whole thing for the swr (8x10). The bottom end huh?... Well i dont have a 5-string, but the guy who sold my amp to me (i got it used) did, and he didnt seem to have any problems. What exactly do you mean by "wavery"? You might want to check your cables and connections for that. As far as my exact eq settings, i didnt change them except maybe to turn the treble down a little.