Carvin BX-500 with Ashdown ABM 210T??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by planetdrumz, Jan 2, 2018.

1. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    This is a question for all the experienced folks since I still have a lot to learn. I just picked up a "like new" Carvin BX-500 from a friend for $150.00 and needed a Cab for it, so I went to my local Music Go Round and they had a nice Ashdown ABM 210T (2x10") for $200.00 that I bought.

I think it sounds great myself but I wanted to know if y'all think this was a good choice to go with as far as compatibility or any other reason? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. If need be, I still have 7 days to return it.

Thank you all in advance.:)

2. At 8 Ohms, the Carvin will max out at 300 watts.

I found several versions of your cab with ratings ranging from 250 to 500 watts.
    And none of them said if the power rating was RMS or otherwise.

The fact that you like how they sound together is the big win for you.
    As long as you don't try to squeeze out every watt, and don't EQ the amp on the bass-heavy side, and listen for signs of speaker stress, you'll be good to go.

It is possible to stress a cab that is rated for more power than the amp can produce.
    This is because the speaker power ratings reflect their thermal rating, not the mechanical rating.
    So what happens is that the voice coil will hit the max design limits of its movement.
    The resulting is what we call farting out. Basically, anything you hear that doesn't sound right is a warning that you should back off.

You may never be in a position that this will be an issue, but with the amp you have, you can easily add another cab if you need to be louder.

:thumbsup:

3. I have the same Carbon BX500, and yes, it will go about 300 watts on an 8 ohm cab. I currently use it with a Hartke 12 inch Hy-Drive Cab, which in reality is a little less rated than the 300 watts but have had no trouble with it. As the other poster said, he wary of your volume an EQing and it should be ok.

4. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    Thanks Old Garage-Band and Fretlessguy for your advice/input! Its very appreciated.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021