1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BX1500 case/rack options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dug dog, May 18, 2011.

1. I need a case for this head but am thinking my options are pretty limited.

Does anyone know if this head will fit into an SKB shallow rack case? The SKB site says their shallow rack is 10.5 inches deep (the same size as the BX), but also lists "Rack Depth Front Rail to Back Lid" as 10.38 inches.

I'm pretty sure it will fit into the Gator shallow case, but I'm not a big fan of the mounting location of the latches on the case itself as opposed to the lid. (I think the Gator Pro Series has the latches on the lid, but it's not available in a shallow.)

I like the idea of the soft Gator case with the shoulder strap but I haven't seen it in shallow version either.

Are there any other options that won't break the bank?

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a bx1500 and keep it in a Gator 2u rackbag. Works and fits great. I love the zipper lids... just unzip and you're good to go. No worries of losing lids on a dark stage etc.

I have my korg pitchblack tuner and VT Bass permanently mounted in the outer pocket.

Cant remember for sure but I think I bought mine new for $65 at L&M.

3. I wondered if the Gator bag might be so deep as to make it a pain to access the rear panel controls and jacks. Otherwise, I like the shoulder strap option and the big accessory pocket. I'm gonna check the L&M price.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I dont find it to be a problem at all. The extra depth allows me to have my cables etc stored back there with less connection hassles. Just unzip and plug in.

Works for me.

5. I think you've made up my mind for me. Thanks.

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Carvin makes a two space rack for that head.

7. I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I want something a little more weather proof than the Carvin rack which doesn't look to have any covers.

8. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I like SKB cases. My band got caught playing in a large Gazeebo during a bad Thunderstorm once. It came up so fast, we only had time to move everything to the center and take shelter. Luckily, I managed to get my rack buttoned up, and get the tuki cover on my cab.

After 15 minutes of hard horizontal rain, every thing was soaked. My rack, thanks to the thin rubber gasket that SKB uses as a seal, was dry as a bone. My cab survived as well.

Money well spent.

9. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Carvin amps are shallow. I have the B1500 and B500. They are both in Grundorf "mighty Lite" shallow racks. I am very happy with them. They are inexpensive.

10. Indeed they do however, not having a front, they offer no real protection to the front panel controls. I have mine in a standard four space SKB rack case. This allows for cable storage in the back.

11. ricguy

ricguy Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Yes, it will. I had a BX1500 for about a year in an 2-space SKB shallow rack. Perfect fit.

12. Good to hear this from someone who's actually done it.
    Lots of other good suggestions here, too.
    Thanks to all.

13. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I have my Carvin DCM 600 in a SKB shallow X rack case. I had to trim a little plastic on back for my power plug to fit. I also had to trim the outputs for the banana plug style connectors. Not much, just enough to let them stick through about an 1/8 inch.

14. Good to know. I thought I'd heard about someone having to trim their shallow X Rack to fit cords.

15. Hey Torin:

How do the Gator bags fare in the pouring rain?
    I figured that, since you live in Vancouver, you'd have some experience with this.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    With the zippers fully zipped the amp is fairly well protected. If its absolutely pouring I might put a jacket over it on the dolly. If its lightly drizzling its fine. I have used the case for about 3 years with various amps and I've never had a concern.

I also added a strap (like you'd find on a 112 bass cab or something) and put rubber feet on the other end. I find it very easy to carry like that. I didnt care for the stock handles.

YMMV.

17. Cool. Thanks.

18. I was at my local shop today (no L&M here) but he does carry Yorkville Sound stuff (as does L&M). The guy had a nice 2U Yorkville bag but it had no rubber feet or shoulder strap and I suspect that you bought one of these and not a Gator (which does have feet and strap.)

He's had the Yorkie bag for a while and would have sold it for $69, but his price on the Gator was $75, so no contest IMO.