Carvin bx1600.. Thinking about buying.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nathan Lyda, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Nathan Lyda

Nathan Lyda

Jan 7, 2015
    Denver, Co
    I'm debating purchasing the carvin bx1600, the full stack 2x10,1x15 cabs. It seems like a really good deal for the price, I'm just looking for some advice from anyone who has one of these amps, thanks!

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I use the previous model BX1200 as my main gigging amp for a few years now. It's phenominal. I run mine in bi-amp mode with a 12" sub and a 12" 3-way cab. The BX1600 is a good choice when mixing cabs like that because having an active crossover, along with two volume controls (one for each cab), eliminates some of the pratfalls of mis-matching cabs.

For instance you can make the 115 carry more lows while letting the 210 carry more mids and highs by using the crossover knob, which is ideal in most cases. Using full-range heads, results can be disappointing when mixing cabs because one may standout more than the other or one might get stressed out more than the other, especially when turning up the bass and/or volume.

Remember each amp within the BX1600 can run at 4 ohms so you can run a pair of 8 ohm cabs on each amp OR a single 4 ohm cab on each amp. In BRIDGE mode, meaning you're fusing both amps together into one powerful amp, you must use one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs. These cabs can be easily blown by this head in bridge mode, just a warning.

IMO, I would order the 8 ohms versions of those cabs since are not the most powerful cabs and each amp will be sending 300w into each cab. If you upgrade to BRX cabs, these only come in 4 ohm versions and are more capable of handling power/volume.

Bi-amp mode and Dual-Mono mode are similar in that there's an amp dedicated to each cab, but in Dual Mono mode the active crossover is disengaged. The amp will seem louder in Dual Mono mode (as compared to bi-amp mode) but the bi-amp function allows for finer-tuning of sound, which is why I prefer it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    So did you ever buy it?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021