1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BX500 Loudness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-4-God, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    How loud does the Carvin BX500 get?

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    500 watts into 4 ohms or whatever into 8 ohms converted to dB gain + the sensitivity of the cabinet, in theory. :) Roughly +27db gain max @ 4 ohms.

That's at 1w/1m, not taking into account power compression of the speaker.

So in lay terms it depends on the cabinets more than anything.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Agreed. I use it with a Bergantino NV610, have played with a real loud drummers plus 2 heavy guitars and have still had headroom.

4. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    English please thank you. Sorry but none of that means anything to me.

5. I've played with some powerful guitarists and drummers and this head hasn't even come close to being drowned out, it's frick'n loud.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As with ANY amp, the loudness factor is completely reliant on the speaker cabs. A small 1x12 will not get loud, no matter the watts behind it, where an 8x10 can get loud with relatively low wattage.

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    What kind of answer do you want? I doubt anyone here has put an SPL meter next to their cab while cranking the amp. It gets really frickin' loud.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What part of "It depends on the cabinet you're using" don't you understand?

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It get REAL loud. But not quite loud enough for some folks.

TRUE FACT.

10. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    This is the LOUDEST 500watt head i've EVERY played. Heck it beats a 750 watt amp that i've used before (i don't know how or why, but to my ears it was MUCH louded).

11. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Was not trying to be technical or difficult just asked a general question. I do understand it depends on the cab, so thanks for the info. I asked the question the way I did because I value the opinions here on the forum and have learned alot. But what I do not understand is the fact that it has been suggested to search then ask, then I notice sometimes when it is asked others certainly not all make the one who has asked seem as though it is a stupid question. I thought this forum was designed to encourage and help as well as teach, sometimes I don't feel that. Didn't mean to go no but I know some people have diffrent opinions about sound and quality I thought it was a legitimate question. I wanted to here from some other users.

12. It can get brutal here but you gotta realize that was a very subjective question....

13. No sense in getting your pants all in a bundle, everyone's take on what is loud is different. I understood what you meant and that's why I answered your question the way I did.

14. I play in a classic rock band with a heavy handed drummer and guitarist with a Marshall stack. I usually never put the volume above 3 on indoor gigs and 4 outdoors. I'm using it in the 2x10 BR510N combo with a 15" extension cabinet. It is plenty loud!

15. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That is why I asked I know it was subjective. I wanted to know what others thought. We read reviews on gear all the time and even though it may come from a professional so to speak even with research data it is still that persons opinion.
    Correct me if I am wrong but some on here have made there purchases based on the opinion of those who have reported here as well. I have been seriously thinking of making that purchase but as I said I value the opinions of those here who might own one.

16. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    If loudness is your main concern, and I take it by that you mean lots of headroom, get the Carvin BX1500, and don't look back.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The problem is not how "Subjective" the question was but how "Vague". Ask "Does amp X get really loud?" - - Sure, if you drop it on dumpster from 100 feet!

A better question would be...

"I have a SWR 4x10 goliath II rated at 8 ohms. Will this amp power it enough to cover a hard-of-hearing guitar player with marshal half stack?" - -

So not only does it depend on the speaker (as well as the speaker brand and it's impedance rating), it depends the intended use. I have a 1x12 I used for practice at home that gets VERY low - according to my neighbors!

I guess my point is that if you don't want to get guff, think the question through a bit more before posting. Folks here *want* to help, they just don't like incomplete questions... like "Which bass is best for Metal!!!" :D

18. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Understood, I have to Dr. Bass cabs that I bought from Pete Skjold before he moved from Texas. One 2X12 and one 2X10 both rated at 600 watts.

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It should be able to get quite ridiculously loud with both of those cabs.

20. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    How does one a coke bottle?