1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BX500: Part II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Wow, I have actually had to split a thread on a Carvin amp. I guess Carvin is doing something right to garner this much interest. Carry one! :bassist:

Old thread here: Carvin BX500

Last Page of original thread: Carvin BX500: Page 52

2. bump

3. As I understand these were being scooped up as fast as they could make them....is this still the case, or are they becoming more available now?

4. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i want :D

5. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    you do of course mean Carry ON........

:eek:

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Eh, one or on...works either way! :p

7. to all BX-500 owners,
    will you please check something out for me?, I need peace of mind...
    with the amp on, speaker connected, nothing plugged in, volume doesn't matter,
    mute on or off.
    and the tube "engaged"

do you hear a "hum" through the speaker? you might have to listen close,
    when you dis-engage the tube it goes away, or at least becomes very faint...

please let me know, thank you
    K

8. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I do not hear the hum, then again my hearing may be compromised from loud music for many years.

9. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I know I posted this in the last thread... but check out what I used it for. Man I love this little head. ;)

10. I got right up next to the amp and heard a very quite hiss, but that's normal and it did hum for a second when my head got real close to the amp head, but the hum was virtually inaudible. The hum went away when I moved away from the amp head, otherwise my amp is very, very quite. One other thing, it was one of the very first heads made and I've not had one single problem with it. Carvin has even asked if I wanted to send it back to be modded and I told them no thanks it's working fine like it is.

GlassToMouth likes this.
  11. I had to send it back to Carvin due to hiss issues (hissues? :D) but I received it this afternoon. I plugged it in and it's fine now. (there is a slight hiss but well within normal levels) It sounds great and has plenty of volume! :hyper: Now I have to get familiar with all the tone shaping options.

12. Thanks vinxbass,
    what i'm hearing is a swirly, static hum
    kinda like it's picking up a motor hum from somewhere...
    maybe the fan motor?

13. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Try unplugging your refrigerator. If the compressor's motor is turning in the same direction as the fan it can cause hum. Don't forget to plug your refrig back in.:)

14. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I too wanted a lightweight combo with some power, so...

Attached Files:

15. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    OK kids, who recognized the cab? yup, it's an old PB-200. Bought a Carvin (Eminence, right?) 15" 4-ohm Neo spk along with the BX, and stuck 'em in the old box after the PB-200 finally gave up the ghost... I call it my PBX.

I do have to say that the cab is probably a bit small to allow the 15's low end to bloom fully, but it will work very nicely for my smooth jazz and acoustic rock bands... and even with 3x the power, it's actually *lighter* than the factory PB-200. And the guy who answered the phone at Carvin's service dept (could it have been the now-famous Bart his very self?) told me that the tweeter with the attenuator could stay just like it was, so the whole project only took me about an hour. Sweet.

:D :bassist:

16. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    My cats would love that combo Eli.:)

17. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yet another reason not to have cats.

;) :spit:

18. thanks Blues Cat,
    I tried...hum still there,

I notice when I cover the fan vent with my hand on the BX500 the pitch of the hum changes as the fan struggles...

could the tube circuitry be picking up a hum from the fan motor?

19. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Lol

20. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    If you don't have a dimmer on half way or any other funky vintage appliance on then it might be something in the head. If it's under warranty I'd send it back and get a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.