1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin BX500 vs Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sladeltd, Nov 1, 2010.

1. sladeltd

sladeltd

Jan 18, 2010
    Ramstein Germany
    The real competition to the BX500 is the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. Why hasnt there been more discussion about this amp? Im at a toss up between the bx500 and shuttle 6.0 or even the shuttle 9.0. Both of these lines have a switchable power supply, bx500 auto switching which is nice. I live in Germany so I need equipment that will work off of 220v 50Hz but I will be returning to the states in a couple years so it has to be able to run 110v 60Hz also. The Markbass equipment is available with 220v power supply but it is factory set and has to be special ordered that way and cant be switched back so it is out of the running.
    These are the bx500 extras over the shuttles. 2 ohm operation, autoswitching powersupply, speakon with the conventional TRS outputs. The shuttles have only speakon out and sooner or later you do run into a circumstance where TRS is needed...I hate having to buy and carry adapters with me. The main selling point of the shuttle to me is the extra power and track record which is the most important. I can only go off of the fact that I cant find threads about problems with shuttles. There is of course the price difference but thats no concern to me, I want quality/longevity over a deal saving $150. Can anyone help me make up my mind?

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you're serious about your last statement [DEL]than[/DEL] then compare warranties and you have your answer.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    In Europe (and many other countries now), legally, any amp of that power level will require touchproof connnectors. That's why Speak-On's only are becoming the defacto standard. 1/4" connectors are dangerous and can deliver a nasty shock. They are also short circuit proof when plugging and unplugging.

Also, TRS connectors are not used for speakers. That would be TS.

4. First, the 6.0 and 9.0 are very different (IME) animals. If money isn't an object, you should *absolutely* go for a 9.0.

As for Carvin, I'm in the minority here in that I've never been impressed with their stuff (except a 5U rack case I got that was great). But in fairness, I've never owned one of their bass amps -- and never will, based on my other experiences. They're great on paper, though...

-jb

5. never tried a genz benz before, but i can say the carvin does have much more eq controls, both in two mids which you can change the freq, a graphic eq, built in compressor (pretty good, dont know much on comps but i can for sure say its not bad or useless). i think with all the eq control, you can change up the sound to anything you want