Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin cab/gallien-krueger head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom wade, Oct 5, 2005.

1. tom wade

tom wade

Sep 23, 2005
    i was just wonderin if anybodys ever used a carvin red eye 410 cab? and if anybody can tell me anything about the gallien-krueger backline 350 head... thanks...

2. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Neither of that stuff is any good. Carvin stuff's pretty bad and overpriced overall, especially their bass stuff. That GK isn't a "real" GK. Both of those are going to be less than stunning. If you're looking to stay on budget, there's plenty of people around here that can point you in the right direction. More information would be welcome. Do you play alone? With a band? What type of music? What bass do you have? PA support or not? What volume do you play at? What budget do you have? Etc etc etc.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I would look at Avatar Speakers. They have great prices on professional quality bass cabs and have Hartke and Ashdown heads to go with them too. Personally I bought the Ashdowb MAG300 head and the SB212 cab. It works great, but if you need more power, they have better heads as well.

4. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Cravin red eye cabs sucks, the frequency response and the design. GK is not bad, I play a 800RB thru Ampeg 810, I think the SVT classic, and sounds excellent.

If you look the BRX series of Carvin cabs, they show better specs., but I didnt hear it.

Avatar are good. I just receive a 410Kapa pro, one of the speaker comes bad from factory, some magnet movement stuff, but, still sound luder and bassy compare to Ampeg BXT410, that I also have

5. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    The Bassline amps are OK for sound, but there is a very noticable difference between my 2001RB and my Backline 110. You're basically getting a useless (for my uses) distortion channel on the Backline. I'd say spend the extra dough for a Real GK amp. BTW, the speakers in the Bassline combos are absoulte garbage. I blew mine after two months, sent it in for warranty and saw another sitting there waiting for repair. Its now back in action, but I had a few farts tonight.
    FTIW

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    When going w/Carvin, go for the BRX12. Way better ;)

7. tom wade

tom wade

Sep 23, 2005
    haha woops... i already have the head, and i ain't too upset seein as how i only spent about $150... but i'm still lookin around at cabs... i was only plannin on spendin about $400 for the cab an di can spend more if you think its worth it... but usually i play alone, i like to try and play any kind of music like punk, reggae, country sometimes and a lotta stuff, i've got a jazz bass and a crappy p-bass, no need for PA support, i'd like to play as loud as possible and uh...any suggestions welcome

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I second the Avatar suggestion. They've got great buzz all over the place - they must be doing something right...

An Avatar 2x12 should do the trick. An Avatar 2x10 + 1x12 would be very nice as well...

MM

9. tom wade

tom wade

Sep 23, 2005
    any specific model? and should i just buy a new head while i'm at it? should i get a 210 or 212 cab with a 15 under it? or 410 with a 15? i don't know guys....