Carvin cab users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, May 28, 2001.

1. FOr some reason I am having a serious itch to get into the Carvin cabs. Either the 410T or the 8x10. I never gave them an honest look until I leafed thru a catalog at prices and specs. I am trying to get a feel for performace (read: do the specs and sounds actually match), tone (especially Low B thumping), reliabilty, customer service, etc. Please give me an idea. Either Im going to sell just my SWR Bigfoot and get the 4x10 or sell both my cabs and the 8x10.
    Also if anyone is selling any of these two used lemme know
    Sorry for the long post
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been playing a Carvin RL410T for more than a year. MY rig is Bass POD Pro preamp, Carvin R600 amp. and the 410. I Run the POD into the effects return and only use the power stage of the Carvin amplifier.

As for the Cabinet, it was a real gamble for me. I played an SWR 410, Eden, Ampeg, and Peavey and was left wanting. Of the cabinets I played, my ear had the greatest appreciation for the Ampeg SVT Classic series. I discovered that the Carvin has speakers of the same specs and the overall performance specs were similar. I took a gamble and bought it. I am very happy with it. IT has great bottom end and bright highs. It is a fairly deep cabinet (check their site but I think it is 19 inches) making it kind of bulky but the sound is great. In fact, it sounds much like the Ampeg only just a bit deeper and darker. Eminence makes the speakers for both Ampeg and Carvin. Carvin claims theirs to be "special" but there is no difference between the two that I can recognize. I have heard both several times as well as inspected them visually. In fact, I had a friend with an Ampeg flex cabinet. We replaced the 10s with Carvin drivers. SOunds exactly the same as it did.

I thought the Eden was nice as well, but better matched for their heads. I was not impressed with the performance of the SWR 410 I played. It really broke up in the bottom. But I admit I was not playing my guitar when I played it, so all things were not equal.

I can only say great things about the Carvin cabinet. I would call it the best VALUE out there. there are tighter cabs, but none that you can buy for $400 new.