Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin cabs, ?? heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahamdubya, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Hi,
    I'm in the market for a new amp to complement my Bassman 100. Right now, I'm looking at this Carvin stack package (link). Now, either way, I would get the two cabs. I really like the 18 and I've heard good things about the 4x10. The price is especially compelling. Anyways, I can't figure out whether to just get the head that's in this package or find something else.

I'm thinking about building a component head, and to that end I just bought a 1/3 octave eq. the power amp would be relatively straightforward (1000 watts+), but I have no idea what sort of preamp to get. What's good, and in the $100-$300 range? It's really hard to find information on what's available for bass.
    Another option is to get a package head. Of course, I will have to sell the EQ, but that's not a big deal. The two I really like right now are both by Fender, the Bassman 1200 or 300 I really like the tubes in the 300, are there any other decent tube heads for a comparable price? ($1,100).
    My last option is to get the head that comes with that package. Is it good enough (obviously it powers the amp), but in terms of quality and options? it seems kind of small and weak for the cabs it powers, and I really like tubes. Is there a preamp I can run thru on an effects loop or something?
    I know I'm lazy, but I really appreciate any help I can get with this stuff. It's a big purchase, and I want to make sure I don't screw it up any more than necessary. Thanks!

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I had Carvin's R600 head (the 600 watt version of this one) and I ran it biamped through a 1- 15 cab and a 2-10 cab.

It was an awesome sounding amp and it was damn loud (the 600 watt model). I would think the 1000 watt would be even better for you. I had a problem with mine though...it would cut out as if the circuit protection was kicking in, but it was a wiring issue. I had it fixed, but I got rid of the amp. Sometimes I wish I still had it as it was a really good sounding amp. But now I'm looking for a different sound so I don't really need all the features in the Carvin.

The compressor was pretty good on the R600 (good control over it without squashing your sound), so was the EQ and the blend of tube and solid state sound was a great feature. Alot of different sounds can be had with that amp and at 1000 watts should give you plenty of power.

Personally I do not care much for Carvin's cabs or speakers. I liked their 210 cab well enough, but it was nothing exceptional (I got the RC210 combo...but pulled the head out and used it seperately later on with other cabs).

You can't beat their price and that system would sound very good AND loud.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you're running a bi-amp setup, you'll be fine, although I don't like Carvin's bass amps. You won't be able to use that 410 as a stand alone, because it has no bottom. If you want the bassman 300 (which is a kickass amp), get some Avatar cabs from www.avatarspeakers.com. Also, Musician's Friend is blowing out the Fender 215 to go with the Bassman 300 for only $349, when it was normally $479. I'd look at that if I were you. they're also blowing out the slant 410 for $349, when it was alot more. But you'd better order soon, because those blowouts won't last forever. :hyper:

4. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    you should check out carvin's new line of bass amps.