Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin cabs????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tat2d_13, Sep 5, 2004.

1. tat2d_13

tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    A buddy of mine has a carvin 215 that he wants to sell me and I was just wondering if fellow tbers have any experience with these cabs.Its a old cab.The only thing is says on the back is Carvin 215-m bass system,Imp:4pw 250w,fuse:4agc.
    Thanks in advance.

2. IMO, not much happiness with this one. This is probably a reason why your "bud' wants to off it to you.

I suspect it will be typical Carvin: too big a driver in too small a cabinet. Reasonably loud, gutless bottom, and not much tone.

And a pain in the butt to haul around.

3. so basically dont buy it bad bad choice unless he will give it to you for like 20 bucks. or better yet for free!!!

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    However the "cabinet" is decent (not "spectacular", but not miserable either). If you put a good bass speaker in there, like an EVX-150A or something, it'll probably work fine. The Carvin speakers are pretty gutless IME, and tend to fry very easily. They don't handle nearly as much peak power as other speakers with similar RMS ratings. That being said, if you're careful with it and don't try to overwhelm it with watts, it might be okay. The best thing to do would be to boost your low mids and cut your low bass. That'll create a much nicer sound with a Carvin 15" speaker, and it'll keep most of the muddiness out of your cabinet's tone.

5. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If it's cheap enough I guess it would be ok. I was never a huge fan. A good cab for someone on a budget (my budget is "no budget").

6. Bassis78

Bassis78

Dec 22, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Dude,
    Nothing special about Carvin really. They're just like Peavey cabs...they do the job, but nothing really extraordinary...hope this gives you some insight.