Carvin Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I was wondering what you guys thought on the quality of Carvin cabs ( specifically the 810 cab) ... I would also be buying a new head, probably and ashdown or hartke, and wanted some opinions...
  2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I really like Carvin cabs but I am definitely the minority on TB. Most people would probably recommend something along the line of Avatar. I have used Carvin bass gear for about five years and never had a single problem. They sound great too......IMO. Bottom line is to give it a try and see what you think. You can always return it if you aren't satisfied. Good luck.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well... Carvin does make decent cabs, but NOT the Redline series. Yes, they are ok and they are perfectly usable and gigable. But only under specific circumstances. I would recommend a 410 and a 115, to get more low end.

Also, if your band is tuned to anything below E-standard, I'd forget about it, because the Redline 810 cant hit low notes for crap. I've played an Ampeg 810 with a 5-string and it was pathetic... and I've heard that the carvin is actually worse. :meh:

See, the question is: Why the hell NOT go with Avatar when you have the chance? First of all.... you can a PAIR of 410 cabs, which is amazingly convenient. 810's are big and hard to lug around anywhere. Also, you have the option of the Pro, Neo, or standard models of Avatar's to suit your liking. AND they have a much better reputation for producing a satisfying tone. AND they are equally affordable!!!

The choice is yours.... but you can get way more portabilty, value, and even power handling from Avatar.
  4. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    When I played a Carvin 410 it sounded like it was tuned to be a guitar cab. No low end.