Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by donkeywrestler, May 20, 2001.

1. donkeywrestler

donkeywrestler

Jan 6, 2001
    I want to replace my 2x12 with a pair of 1x15's. Is carvin any good. How about other 1x15's. I would get a 2x15 but it's hard for me to unload that much money at once.

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i had a friend who had an older peavy 2x15 - probably early 80's, i'm guessing. we thought we could improve the sound by replacing the old peavy 15's with something else. carvin 15's were priced great, so he bought a couple and popped 'em in the cab. it didn't sound any different than it did before, or if it did, it was hardly noticable. now, maybe the cabinet just sucked. or maybe carvin quality is roughly on par with old peavys. i dunno.

i haven't heard a carvin 1x15 cab though, so i can't attest to how they sound, only the 15's themselves in a peavy 2x15 cab.

oh, and for the record, the 15's he bought were the less expensive ones - the stamped frame instead of the cast frame, i think.

3. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    forgot to mention - sunn makes a 2x15 - about $440 - contains celestion speakers.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I thought that the Sunn cabinets used Eminence
    speakers.
    I could be wrong, however.

5. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    the 4x10's are eminence, but the 2x15 contains celestions i believe...i just looked at it yesterday but i could be wrong.

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i'm totally wrong - the sunn 2x15 does contain eminence drivers. i must've been half asleep when i looked it up last. sorry.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    If I'm not mistaken, aren't Carvin speakers actually made by Eminence?
    The new Carvin catalog came today, so I'll have to look into that again.
    I believe there is a recent thread about how certain speakers are designed to work a certain way with certain cabinets. Definitely worth looking at.
    Bottom line; try as many as possible before you buy.
    Peace.

8. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i've heard carvin speakers are made by eminence before, but it doesn't say so in the catalog. in that case, the sunn 2x15 with eminence drivers may not be all that killer, i dunno. i was just saying they make one and it's not too expensive (440) b/c donkeywrestler said he wanted one. 440 is less than two carvin 15's. like you said beef, definitely try different things and follow your ears. (if you can afford it) :)

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont have Carvins 1x15 cab but I do have the 4x10, i know its not what you want, but as far as the sound quality of mine goes, I think its top notch, and very well built. I would imagine that it would be fairly safe to say that their 1x15 sound just as good and are just a solid.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Carvin speakers are made by Eminence and they are cast frame. The voice coils on the 15", at least the ones they use in their cabs, are 2.5". They told me they didn't use the 3", even though they could get them for the same cost, because those weren't a fast, response-wise, as the 2.5". And they said the 4" would sound terrible in their cabs.

The speakers are good, not great. It would be nice if they offered Eminence Deltas or (gulp!)Kilomax's.

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Wow...a thread I can actually be of help in;)

The Sunn 2x15 cab is awesome, IMHO. Of course, the euphoria of new gear still hasn't worn off, but I played through it for about an hour and a half, and the sound was great (Through a Sunn 300T head). I don't know about the rest, but the Sunn 2x15 is very good.

12. donkeywrestler

donkeywrestler

Jan 6, 2001
    thanks everyone. i wasn't expecting nearly this much of a reply