1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noisenoisenoise, May 12, 2010.

1. noisenoisenoise

noisenoisenoise

May 3, 2010
    Are they decent? They seem to have pretty huge wattage handling and are relatively light weight. The price is certainly right. I'm am referring to the new neo cabs. I'm seriously considering buying the 4ohm 1x15 as a stand alone cab.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/basscabinets.php

:help:

2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The BR-N series?

I have the BR 2x10 and 1x18 neos, and they're not bad - nothing special, but good for the price. The BRX cabs are very nice.

3. I recently bought a BRX 10.2 Neo. Cabinet construction is superb. It sounded a bit on the boxy side but really cut well on stage. Unfortunately, after blowing one 10 and frying the tweeter TWICE in less than 10-days (Carvin replaced both drivers incredibly quickly at no expense to me), I sent it back for a refund (they paid return shipping as well due to the replacement tweeter failing). My guess is the drivers/cross-over are the weak links in this cab. Others here at TB have had really good luck with them. Carvin's customer service is absolutely top-notch however so it might be worth a go. I have no experience with the BR series, but can't imagine being able to recommend it based on my experience with the BRX series. IMO/IME of course.

4. isuck@bass

isuck@bass

Feb 12, 2010
    Brenham
    I'm not sure with the new stuff . . . I had an old 4x10 model. Tons of power and never blew out any speakers. Was a LOUD cab for sure. I agree with Limeman, Carvin has great customer support. It won't hurt to try it out and if you do not like it then just return it for your money back.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Power handling and actual output capability are not directly related. What matters is the excursion of the drivers, and the neo drivers currently used by Carvin are weak in that respect.

6. Walking

Walking

Apr 5, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have one, and it arrived out of the box with a bad driver which they replaced no questions asked. I have not played on stage with it, but it has been getting the full output of my carvin 500 watt bass head with no further problems. It runs out of gas at the highest volumes, but I really like it. I have the tweeter turned off as that is not the sound I am after.

I do wonder if their speakers for these things is not up to the standard set by the cabinet itself. I took apart the defective one and noted that the voice coil had windings at both ends of the bobbin, but none in the middle. I am guessing not having windings all the way through is the recipe for growl. I took the neodymium magnet off it and stuck it on an i-beam in the basement and challenged my teenage son to pull it off--he was not able to. ;)

I would tend to hang onto this cabinet, and if drivers blew out of warranty, I might search for a more capable 10 inch bass driver to replace it with.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Half of my bass cabs are Carvins. I got no complaints.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Frankly, I think you could do better. They're pretty middle of the road, except arguably for the BRX.

I've watched Carvin steadily improve their bass gear over the past 30+ years - first their bass guitars, and now their amps. Both have become excellent.

Their cabs (and perhaps their onboard electronics) remain the relatively weak links. Perhaps Carvin will turn their engineering expertise to bass cabs next... :meh:

MM

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If they sold them empty the BRX 10.2 with basslites or deltalites would be a solid cabinet. The drivers they use are junk for bass. Maybe someday they'll go back to eminence OEMs and get some good stuff :)

10. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I have the BRX10.4 Neo cab and I love it. I haven't heard anything that compares. It destroys the Ampeg cabs I've used over the years and I'll most likely stay with Carvin until they do something unforgivable. CS is THE BEST.

11. I've been using Carvin cabs exclusively for 3 1/2 yrs. I been using the BRX10.4 and BRX10.2 for almost 2 yrs and have had no complaints at all. Very powerful speaker enclosures that sound very good. As far as the BR series, I can't speak for those, but the BRX series cabs that Carvin builds is where you want to be looking.:smug:

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Based on these reports from very trusted sources (like yourself) I always wonder if maybe Carvin uses different drivers than the ones they have TS params posted for in their BRX series cabs.

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I have both the regular neo 2x10 and the brx 2x10. Let me make a note to check next time I'm in the rehearsal space. Might be a while, house move in progress.

14. That's a very good observation. I've taken a look at the neo speakers in my BRX10.4 and they look exactly like B&C speakers from the looks of the magnets. I'm not saying they are B&C's, but man they sure look like it. As fas as the BRX10.2, I haven't looked at those yet. I'll open them up and take a look.

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What really makes me think about that is that people report the BRX10.4 to sound better and be louder and beefier than an Avatar 4x10, for example. Avatar's deltalites literally SHAME the performance of the Neo 10s that Carvin has TS params posted for, so I have no idea how that could be true if those are the drivers they are using :) Anyway I definitely look forward to the comparison from UncleFluffy.

16. DizzyExiled

DizzyExiled

Jan 22, 2010
    Chico, Ca
    last year, two fried neo 15"s with a bx1200 amp 3 songs into the set, first show of the tour.

Carvin didn't even offer a discount on replacement drivers.

the brx 410 and 118 cabs worked great except for the space it took in the trailer.

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Anything that Carvin posts online is suspect, as far as I'm concerned - especially their technical specs. I've noticed over the years that "legacy" information from previous versions of their gear has a mysterious way of lingering on in the product descriptions of the newer versions - sometimes for a very long time. It was even that way with their catalogs, years before they ever launched their website.

As a long-time Carvin customer, I've seen their bass gear gradually improve over the years. The quality of their customer service ebbs and flows (these days it seems to be relatively good once more). But their quality control processes with regard to information and communication continue to need some more work... :atoz:

MM

18. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Most companies don't for user error. Speakers don't just "fry", they usually give you a VERY audible warning that something's not quite right.

I played a BX600 through a BR410 (non-neo) for a little over a year. Sounded great and got plenty loud. I just downsized to smaller gear.