Carvin, Cirrus BXP, or Geddy Lee?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BasStefan, Mar 14, 2005.

Which one for under $675?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2005.
  1. Carvin B4 - 4 string

19 vote(s)
  2. Peavey Cirrus BXP - 4 or 5 string

34 vote(s)
  3. Fender Geddy Lee - 4 string

76 vote(s)
  4. Other (please specify with reasons)

12 vote(s)
  1. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

hey everyone, i'm stuck on what i should buy for my next bass. i've heard good things about these basses, which one would you pick? this is what info i have now. i really dont wanna spend much more then $675.

Carvin B4 - great for the price, but breaks easily? have to wait for custom shop. B4 with options i want would be $654

Cirrus BXP - same electronics as regular Cirrus, havent heard too much, but if it has the same electronics, i guess its good. 4 string is $550, 5 string $600

Geddy Lee - heard a lot of good about it $670
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps add Lakland 44-01 to possible choices..
  3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I voted Carvin based on the faCT I did not really like the real CIrus I played (even though I know many find them exceptional) but I don't know if the BXP are on par. I've never played the GL but I've played some Fender Jazzes at 2grand (CAD) and they almost made me cringe. (Possibly due to setup) but they didn't feel as good as my Carvin. I've heard nothing but good about the GL though so I would suggest trying one out then making a decision.
  4. Redman

Oct 21, 2002
    Nashville TN

G&L L-2500 Tribute, all the tone for about $400.00
  5. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Figjam, I would have thought you would have recommended a SUB before a Lakland. :p

In all seriousness though, the Geddy Lee is a fine instrument. Personally, I do not care for the feel of Peaveys. I own a Carvin B4 and have found it tonally lacking. I love Japanese Fenders!! I have two Japanese P-basses and the construction and tone are superior to the MIA models IMO.

Although for that price range, you might want to consider a SUB or an active MTD Kingston or Heir.
  6. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i own a peavey now, and i like how it feels and plays. the G&L L-2500 looks good too though.
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Kinda' bad poll... the Cirrus BXP doesn't really exist yet. However, I have a USA Cirrus and a GL. Of the two, I like the Cirrus better, but the BXP may or may not be as nice as the US model, and the GL is AWESOME.

As the poll shows, damn tough call! For me, it boils down to those VFL elex. Very versatile and quiet. Since the GL is passive, I find myself missing the eq when I'm switching pickups.

Also, the GL's go for more like 600, not 670.
  8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA

Also, the 55-01 might not be out of the question for $675....
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    What do you think contributed to your Carvin's lack of tone? Was it wood choice or electronics? I have a B4 with a mahogany body and 2 J99s on the way.
  10. scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
    While I am a HUGE Geddy Lee fan (my very first album purchase and concert was "Moving Pictures"-it left a major impact on me), getting a bass like my hero won't make me play like my hero, practice will. I don't wear jerseys with someone else's name on them either.
    I've also previously owned a Carvin '88 LB-90 in solid Koa. Nice enough bass, but it just didn't do it for me.
    I just picked up a Fender Aerodyne 2 weeks ago. I live in Japan (Okinawa to be exact). It's the non-export model in dark, dark, dark red and with black chrome hardware. I paid $550 for it brand new from a shop here. What a great bass-I was shocked how much of a difference there was between it and my Carvin. There's a guy on ebay that sells the lower-tier model aerodyne (pickguard, cheaper bridge) regularly for $699 in the same color.
    There's some advantages to living overseas, and I think I found the best one.

US Marines, Okinawa
  11. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Most cases I'd have voted "other" but this past weekend a Geddy Lee Jazz fell into my hands (not for keeps unfortunately), and I just fell in love with it. Great tone, fit, finish, etc.. Yeah, I'm kinda gassin' for one now.

My "other" would have likely been a Spector Legend. I've had the pleasure of those on several occasions and like them as well. Just my .02

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1 on either one. A 55-01 will run ya roughly $699.00.
  13. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

14. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I would also take a look at the lower level Spector basses. They seem good for the money.

With that much money, in your shoes, I'd get either a used Cirrus (or new BXP, although I've never played one) or a used euro Spector (or one of the lower lines if you want new).
  15. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    :smug: Spectors alllll the way! They're pretty versatile basses, and *very* well built. And you can get a used one for <$675 easy.

16. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

the low end spectors are passive, i want active.
  17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
  18. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    With $675 you don't need to buy a low end one. Heck, you can prolly score an Korean era-NS2A for less than that. And those are smokin'! A brand new Legend 4 will be $550, a 5er would be $600! EMG HZs, EMG pre amp right on board. Here's a few eBay examples too: <-- NS2000/4! The baby brother of my NS2000/5! KILLER basses. (Heck, I'd jump all over that if I had the money). <-- a Euro 5, currently at $406 (reserved though). I'd almost bet $675 would get you it.

Edit: also, don't limit yourself to active... there's plenty of killer basses that aren't active.
  19. Get the Geddy Lee bro
  20. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Oh man, why did you have to post that link for the Euro 5!!!???

I want a bass like that...I'm almost thinking of bidding on it too but the only reason I don't is I'm having financial problems at the moment :crying: