Carvin clipping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jljohnson85, Jan 25, 2002.

1. jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    I have a Carvin R1000 and I run it bridged into my 8 ohm Goliath III. I have my gain set to about 2 o'clock and my power amp volume at 12 o'clock. All my eq is set flat except for a little boost in the highs and mids at 250hz. I have mid pre shape button on as well. The power amp usually goes on whenever I slap and pop when the voulme is set at 3, and it is on a lot with just normal playing when the volume is at 5. Anyone know what the problem is?

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    ive recently been toying with my R600, and discovered that it sounds a lot better with the bass cut a bit too. that way you can play louder and harder without maxing out the power amp section. you also might want to not use the mid preshape button... as that scoops the mids... which cuts a lot of the "percieved" volume out of it. recently ive been playing a lot with all the preshape buttons off, and with the parametric eq engaged, bass frequencies cuta little bit, the lowest frequency cut a bit more (60Hz i think) mids boosted about 5dB, and the high bands boosted around 2 0r 3 dB. this makes the amp seem a lot louder without having to push the volume up nearly as far. try to stay as far away as possible from the dreaded "smily face" eq settings if you want more headroom... as it will suck power like no other. while this tone isnt at all useful for latin or jazz, and if im just playing alone i prefer more bass impact... it works best in a loud rock band setting, or slapping, or fungerstyle funk. it becomes more growly, with a pronounced low mid bark, and gets a ton louder before clipping. it just doesnt make your chest hurt. thats what 18's are for :). by far i prefer to boost the hell outta 125 Hz, but i can only do that if i dont intend on playing with someone, as the amp cant keep up like that.