Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Combo? good or bad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSeven, Jun 18, 2002.

1. I am considering the 160-watt 15"(w/horn) Carvin
    Combo, because of price for size and watts.

Is this good:confused:

Should I buy it, or save for a better brand?

I've heard that carvin is OK.:(

2. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    I've had one for a few months now. It is pretty loud (loud enough for rehearsals with unmuted drums) and I think it has a pretty good sound. It has a lot of tone control built into it, and can get a lot of sounds. It won't cut through a 100 W guitar amp or fill a club (even a small one) though. The first one I got ran hot and died after a couple weeks, but they were very good about replacing it. Since you live in California you may be close enough to one of their stores to be able to try one out, and even if not it will not be all that much to ship it back if you don't like it.

You can also get somewhat lower powered Peaveys and Crates new in that price range, and possibly a used Workingman 15 or Ampeg combo if you look and are patient. Some people like the Hartke combos -- I don't but that is just my taste. A lot of people don't like Carvin for various good or not-so-good reasons, but obviously a lot of people do or they would not be around after 50 plus years. If name is important to you or if resale value is important to you you might want to save for something else. If you want a decent practice/rehearsal amp at a decent price, the PB-200 might be good for you.

Good Luck

DK