1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

carvin combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mr. baggins, Apr 6, 2001.

1. I have been looking for a new combo amp. Something that I can start doing small gigs with my band. It should be at least 100 watts and be less than $500. I will be playing several styles including rock, blues, and jazz. I saw a Carvin combo the other day on their website that was 160 watts that looked good but I have never heard one. Info on this or any other good amps will be greatly appreciated

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, that's a cool amp. I checked out the PB100 with the 10" speaker and the one with the 15" speaker. I didn't get it because I couldn't get enough clean volume for my taste. But For a relatively small combo, I definately liked the sound. At their price range, I recomend them. For that same $500 you could buy a used amp that would be better. I bought a Cyclops for about $500. That is a 600w head, 1x15+2x8. It kicks @$$. It's a bit big though, if you can find a used redeye combo you will like it more IMO.

Also in the price range I really like the sound from Gallien Kruegar combos. Check them out if you can hear one locally. I think if all else was the same (price/wattage/speakers/etc etc) between carvin and GK I would get the GK, EXCEPT in the case of the Redeye, which I think kicks every other combo amp's @$$... once again, IMO.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Also the Ampeg B100R; 100W pushing a 15". The great Ampeg sound in an old school cab; right at $500 (or less, depending on how well you know how to work salespeople).