Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mr. baggins, Apr 6, 2001.

1. I have been looking for a new combo amp. Something that I can start doing small gigs with my band. It should be at least 100 watts and be less than $500. I will be playing several styles including rock, blues, and jazz. I saw a Carvin combo the other day on their website that was 160 watts that looked good but I have never heard one. Info on this or any other good amps will be greatly appreciated

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, that's a cool amp. I checked out the PB100 with the 10" speaker and the one with the 15" speaker. I didn't get it because I couldn't get enough clean volume for my taste. But For a relatively small combo, I definately liked the sound. At their price range, I recomend them. For that same $500 you could buy a used amp that would be better. I bought a Cyclops for about $500. That is a 600w head, 1x15+2x8. It kicks @$$. It's a bit big though, if you can find a used redeye combo you will like it more IMO.

Also in the price range I really like the sound from Gallien Kruegar combos. Check them out if you can hear one locally. I think if all else was the same (price/wattage/speakers/etc etc) between carvin and GK I would get the GK, EXCEPT in the case of the Redeye, which I think kicks every other combo amp's @$$... once again, IMO.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Also the Ampeg B100R; 100W pushing a 15". The great Ampeg sound in an old school cab; right at $500 (or less, depending on how well you know how to work salespeople).