Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BeatlesBassist4, Dec 17, 2005.

1. BeatlesBassist4

BeatlesBassist4

Apr 22, 2004
    Gearogia
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm fairly familiar with Carvin gear, having owned my share. And for some reason, though I've liked a number of their amps, especially my B1500 head, I never really liked that amp you linked to. Even though I haven't played it yet, I bet this one would be better (just judging from what I know about the respective amplifiers involved):

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX212&CID=BRX

3. BeatlesBassist4

BeatlesBassist4

Apr 22, 2004
    Gearogia
    But wouldn't i get a better sound with the two 8's? Looks like that only has one 15. :eyebrow:

4. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio

I have one. Mine is the 600W version, though. The head has a rather "modern" sound with a shiftable, but not defeatable mid scoop. If that's the souind you're looking for, its a great choice and returns great value for what ti costs.

Keep this in mind: the cabinet, being wired for biamping, is essentially two independant cabs in a single box.

BTW -- Mine is for sale. I'll make you a deal.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You can't predict sound just by looking at the speaker complement. There's no law that says that two 8s have to sound better. And if you read the description of the BRX212, you'd see that it has *two* 12s and a tweeter, with one of the 12s facing down at an angle. And in case you were wondering, no, 15s don't *necessarily* have better bass than 12s. It depends on the individual components and design.

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    The BRX combo has 2 12's in it and I have been thinking about it myself but I also like

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=R1010&CID=BA
    The R1010 has so many possibilities for future expansion

The cyclops combo also weighs like 108 lbs
    Buy a weight set while your at it.
    I am sure it is a awsome amp but to heavy IMO

7. BeatlesBassist4

BeatlesBassist4

Apr 22, 2004
    Gearogia
    When you say modern, what exactly do you mean? Can you give me a bass player's tone maybe?

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I've seen a R1015 used, on sale at GC for $400 in good shape.
    The BRX212 looks to be a much better amp. Check the Carvin forums.

9. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Not sure I can nail it down to a particular player's tone, but I was referring to modern vs. vintage. Since you really can't get rid of the mid scoop, the amp's natural tone is sort of "hi-fi", in that there are more highs and lows than mids. You can tweak the sound pretty much endlessly, with all of the EQ options, and the 8's add a nice, quick "snap" to the sound.

I absolutely loved the tone when using my Ibanez SR1300, but when I got my Stambaugh, I just couldn't get what I wanted from it. I'm still using the cabinet, driven by a 700W power amp, and an ancient Peavey pre, and the has LOTS and LOTS of punch.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Something that doesn't quite look right from the picture of the R1015 is if they isolate the 8's from the 15. It looks like with that config they're all open in the same box.

11. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    They may be in the same box, though I remember something about it being built like two cabs. At any rate, you've got to look at it like two cabs, since the 8's and the 15 are on separate circuits -- the box has two separate "ins" and no parallel jacks for jumping.

I'm running it off a stereo power amp, with the amp's channels linked to a single input, so that I can send a full-range signal to each in. I was still running it biamped until the crossover in my Peavey pre kicked the bucket.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That would be good - they must have - Carvin is pretty good on their designs.