Carvin Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizardKing45, Dec 28, 2000.

1. What do you guys think of the Carvin PB100-15? Im lookin for a cheap combo, thats louder than my 12w crate bx-15 with an 8" driver. Is this a good reliable amp? Also, is it loud? I want the rumblin tones:) Or, should i just save the extra cash (which would be tough), and get an ampeg b100-115?
  2. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Tough choice. Those are both going to be better than what you have right now. Try to find a good music store and try them out if you can. Also, check out places like ,,, and for good deals on used stuff. You'll probably beable to find the Ampeg combo used for less than what the crate combo would cost new.
    Good luck!
  3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I haven't tried the PB100-15, but I love my PB100-10. It is well-made and sounds really good. I've owned tons of Carvin stuff, and have been very happy. Carvin's return policy is really good.
  4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've had the now-discontinued PB200-12 for several years and I've never really liked it. It's lightweight and loud for its size, and cheap, but there is an unpleasant coloration that it adds to the sound of my beautiful basses-a Peavey Cirrus, MusicMan Stingray, and Alembic Spoiler. The Carvin amp has a lack of complexity in the midrange that no amount of fiddling with the preshape filters, tone controls, or graphic EQ can remedy. I've also had problems with the speaker and compressor on the amp. Overall I've had much better luck with Ampeg and SWR equipment.