Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin CP900 power amp -- $180 for 900W?!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Dec 12, 2004.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Carvin CP900

This seems unreal to me! I had a DCM1000 for a while and thought it was a great amp. How can these guys make any money selling a 900W power amp for $180 new???

Has anyone tried one? They say it's the same as a DCM1000 with different aesthetics and no optical limiter (which I shut off anyway).

I might have to get one of these...

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yeah, I got the holiday news email the other day.... I might grab one just to have around as a spare

3. I believe they've been discontinued. They're definetly a great bargain.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    As I understand it, the CP series was intended to compete with the low-end Chinese power amps. But for some reason, Carvin pulled them from the catalog after only a few weeks. I believe the current pricing is to clear out the inventory.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Isn't the CP1800 only $199.99 (plus shipping)? 1800 watts bridged into 4 ohms for $230....WOW!

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here's what I recently posted in another thread...

"FWIW, Carvin is having a nice sale on the CP series power amps... the big one (CP1800 IIRC) is only $199.99. 1800 watts bridged into 4 ohms for $200 is quite a deal on a name brand power amp. See them at www.carvin.com

NCI, etc. just seems like a heck of a deal!!

http://www.carvin.com/products/dcm....=CP1800&CID=PWA

or 900 watts bridged into 4 ohms for $179.99...

http://www.carvin.com/products/dcm....r=CP900&CID=PWA"

Carvin did a bang-up job of hiding the CP1800...there don't seem to be any links on either the sale email or on carvin.com...I basically had to build a URL based on the CP900s.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Aw, I've got to check out one of these!

edit: Something strange is happening a the website. It won't add my item to the cart. Maybe sold-out.

8. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The CP1800s are sold out, but the 900s are still available. I just checked.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Did Carvin make these or import them?

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    It says on their website they were made at the San Diego factory.

11. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    What it an optolimiter exactly?
    Is there any reason the CP900 can't be used as a bass poweramp, besides it being overkill in most situations at 900 watts?

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    tekhna,

The optolimiter is used as clip protection. It's pretty standard in high powered amps these days but not really a necessity.

It's NOT the same as a DCM inside, check the specs out (hmm, there are no specs on line but I saw them in the print catalog) it's heavier and bigger so they must be using some cheaper but bulkier components.

Wonder why they are dropping them so soon...$180 on blowout is a good deal as long as it passes the smoke test ;)

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think I figured it out...go to the Carvin web site manuals section and there's a manual for "F" series power amps. They look like cost reduced DCM amps. No other info on the web site, maybe they are replacing the CP series with these?

http://carvin.com/manuals/f-series_amp.pdf

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Those aren't really 900 practical watts, but 900 VaporWatts®. :D

Reference this thread.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That doesn't seem to be the right thread. There's nothing in there that even suggests anything about power ratings.

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Hmm. It links to the right thread for me.

Note the subject: "No amp should be run at 4 ohm bridged???" and Yamaha's assertion in the first message concerning inflated wattage ratings based on bridged outs at dangerously low impedance.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    But it doesn't say anything to support this.

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That Yamaha person shouldn't be talking about amps from other manufacturers. If their amp can't bridge at 4 ohms, then they shouldn't print the rating. Plenty of amps work fine at 4 ohms bridged. Carvin has a good rep. for amps, I'd buy this one if I needed it.

19. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    yeah that thread doesnt seem relevant from what i read in all those posts to what you quoted, you seem to have failed to notice that this carvin amp is speced differently from what that yamaha person was saying

20. No, the F series amps were manufactured back in the 90's prior to the introduction of the DCM line. Then, they were discontinued.

Regarding the 'vaporwatts' comment, I haven't the tools to bench test my Carvin DCM1500's output myself, but I know two things-

1) Carvin would not sell any amp unless it met its advertised specs. They are an old, reputable company. Moreover, their pro sound gear has been tested and reviewed in many publications over the years and has always been rated highly.

2) The DCM1500 I own will knock your head off if you turn it up loud. I guarantee you don't want to stand in front of that amp on full. It's a terrific power amp for bass.

I can't imagine the CP900 and CP1800 not performing as advertised. There isn't any official word over on the Carvin discussion board about why the amps are being closed out- just checked.

The CP900s are still available, as of this writing.