Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Custom 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowtones, Feb 19, 2001.

1. I'm happy. One of my mom's friends, who is a former bassist, is selling one of her basses. The good thing is that my parents (mostly my mom) are considering buying this for me, seeing how serious of a bassist I am.

Here's what it is (this is what the info I got from her):

Carvin
    -Bunny Brunel Model
    -Custom 5 String w/ radius neck
    -Satin finish neck
    -Quilted Maple Top
    -Locking Spurzel (sp?) tuners
    -Active electronics
    -Perfectly balanced

She paid $1,400 new for it in '92, and will take $1,000 for it now. And I'm the only one who's "in-line" to buy it, so I'm in no real hurry.

I'll try to get some pics of it when I go to play it sometime.

If anyone knows anything about these, please give your opinion.

2. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Thats a ripoff. Even $750-800 is far too steep. Technically, based on Carvins resale, thats probably worth about $300-400. Maybe.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A grand for that Carvin would place it in the "absurdly over-priced" category. Unless you consider this a charitable contribution, you're getting fleeced.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Have to disagree with Jimmy. For instance there's a used Carvin Bunny Brunel BB75 on eBay right now. The price right now is $510, the reserve price hasn't been met yet, and there's still 5 days to go on the auction. And any eBay'er knows the price skyrockets on the last day. You'll never get one for $300-500 unless it's several years old AND been dragged behind a car on a gravel road and 60mph, IMO.

However, I agree $1000 is too steep. Since it's a friend of your mom's maybe you could gently tell her that the peanut gallery here thinks that a grand is too much. Her friend won't likely get that on the used market, even if it's in great shape. Also tell your mom that you could get the most stripped down, (no options at all), NEW BB75 from Carvin for $820 + shipping and the cost of the case you have to buy. The $100 or so difference between that and the price for the used one would get you some useful options, like the HB2 pickup option.

Maybe your mom's friend has it hotrodded with some goodies. You could ask.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    She's asking WAY too much lowtones. If your mom is willing to spend that much, go out on your own and try a bunch of things out at the local stores too. I'm not saying you have to BUY from them, just a good place to play with different basses.

I own a Carvin LB75 too, the neck is standard, not the BB neck. Carvins are nice too, but for $1000, just get a new one that is all yours. I mean, she's asking a grand for a '92? WAY TOO MUCH!!

Get one that's all your own, you'll be happier.

Good luck! :)

7. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Rickbass, im basing it on the fact that its like 8 years old. Most BB75s you see on Ebay are maybe 3 or 4 years at most. I didnt even know they made the BBs back then! But thats why i gave the prices i did. But, quite obviously, im not a Carvin expert, this is just a guess based on the kind of resale you normally see.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Shucks, Jimmy, you're right! Scuz me while I shrink.

I was thinking the bass was only 3 years old when I posted. I must have been thinking of the Carvin BB on eBay :oops: I didn't think they were making BB's back then either. I didn't even give a rip about Bunny Brunel back then. Yeah, a grand is a larceny!!!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sometimes the reserves are completely out of line on eBay... and the bids don't jump at the end unless the bidders are truly clueless. Sometimes they are.

I've come across an LB75 with 3 band EQ for $499...including a PB200 combo amp. A grand for the BB is completely out of line.

10. Gotta go with the crowd on this one, Lowtones. $1000 is just way too much. I bought an LB75 brand new with options for $900 almost 5 years ago, and the tone is mediocre at best.

Besides, for $1200 you can get a brand new stingray 5... :D

11. Hey thanks, all of you. I just talked to my instructor about this bass today, and he said the exact same thing. So it will most definately be a no on this one.

Over and Out