Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Custom Kit basses:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Casey C., Mar 18, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I would like to see some pics of some basses that were created from the carvin custom kit basses. So if you guys know of any place where I can see these I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on buying one sometime soon and I would like to get a few ideas. I know I can handle it, I got a whole woodworking shop to use. :)

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Have you considered warmoth?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's just what I thought when I saw the thread title.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Your best bet is to go to the discussion forums at www.carvin.com and ask around there. Much better chance that someone will have something for you to look at.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There's also USA Custom Guitars, run by an ex-Warmoth person. With both those options, however, Casey would have to spend considerably more to get all the parts for a bass than he would with a Carvin Bolt kit. Dunno about USA Custom, but I've used both Carvin and Warmoth, and IME Warmoth is not necessarily much higher in inherent quality, if at all. Warmoth's main advantages IMO are (1) much wider choice of options and (2) Fender compatibility, either of which may be either a big deal or irrelevant, depending on what Casey's looking for.

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Yes, I have considered warmoth. I don't completly like their prices. I like carvin for their prices. I priced out a warmoth for like $1000(ok, maybe alittle less) but the carvin kit is around $400. I really want a no/low-gloss stained 4 string. I play carvin lb-75 now. I enjoy it alot, but the things I don't like aboud it are: the finish (hi-gloss) and I am not to wild about the body shape. I will look in warmoth's thrift shop and think about it some more. I am not too picky on the pickups but I think I want J's, soapbars, or a musicman style HB (with or without the additional J in the neck)

7. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I kinda forgot to insert the reminder that I have a woodworking shop that I could modify a body I wanted to get the carvin. There isn't much I could do to it. But I can make it shaped to my liking (for comfort). My dad is really good with wood working so I'm sure he could help me with the project :)

Oh, and BTW: I looked at warmoth's thrift shop and altered my mind alittle. I seen a body and a neck for around $150 a piece so I think that is more reasonable.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, the thrift shop is the way to go. I've seen wenge/ebony necks for $150, and an alder body with figured maple top for $199.

You might have to wait a little while, but if you watch the thrift shop, you will get what you want for around the price of the Carvin kit.

9. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    ok cool, I wasn't planning on getting it til atleast june or july. what electronics would I be best off with? I play rock music in general (classic rock, hard rock, metal, etc.)

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Can't really go wrong with any high end pickups, its really just a matter of taste. Maybe Bartolini, EMG, or Basslines?