Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Custom Shop Basses, Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tyler_W, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Tyler_W

Tyler_W

Jun 15, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA
    Right now, I own a Dillion VSGB and I love it, but im in the market for a second bass. I came apon the company Carvin and they happen to make custom basses. Im planning on ordering a custom B-4 bass from them, which comes with a hipshot de-tuner and some other things for under $700. Are these basses worth the price? Also, are these basses american made?

Thanks,

--Tyler

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've owned two Carvin basess and thought they were excellent. Looking at possibly getting a fretless one soon. Don't think you'll be disappointed but if you are they have a 10 day trial period during which time you have the option of returning it...

A win / win situation...

3. I own 2 Carvins. A B4 and an LB76. Both are fretless. They're worth every penny, plus a lot more in my opinion. A bass that will cost you $800 from Carvin would cost you $1400 if it was from any other company, IMO.

oh oh, now I get to show mine :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've had two Carvins (still have one) and I think they're great basses. And yeah, they are American made. They're more what I would consider semi-custom, in that you choose a base model and then pile on your options like adding toppings to a pizza. ;)

And I really dig the B4. My current Carvin, I put together from their bolt-on bass kit which you can order, which is really just a B4 in unfinished, unassembled form. Very solid.

5. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I think Carvins are pretty good basses. I am leary though about not playing a bass before I buy it. However, unfortunately for whatever reason Carvin just like G&L don't have a good resale value. Not that you might ever sell it but just a tid bit from my experience working in a music store. Hope thats not a bummer, and I don't mean to be negative about either product.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Really good instruments. I recommend them.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their electronics didint do it for me but their finishes are really beautiful check out the Greenburst.

8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I took a chance and purchased my first Carvin (custom order LB70) in January of 2004. I guess you can say it payed off for me because I have since sold all the other basses I owned at that time and purchased three more Carvins.

I've played a lot of basses over the past 20 years and think Carvin are worth every penny they charge for them. No one could convince me that they are of lesser quality than any other bass out there costing twice as much.

I do not work for Carvin and I don't think Carvins are for everybody, but I know when the time comes for me to buy my next bass I won't be hunting around at GC or Sam Ash. I'll be going right back to Carvin.com.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have an LB76 Claro Walnut lined fretless 6 string. I love everything about it except the electronics. I put in a Bartolini preamp and pups and now it really sounds - the way I like it as I like Bartolini's. For others, they like the Carvin electronics.

Oh, you want to see some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. e-money

e-money

Apr 20, 2005
    i got a walnut B4 about 3 years ago and its been my main bass ever since. i love everything about it. i like to try alot of diffrent basses but i'v never picked one up since i got my carvin the felt as good. the sound of my bass is awsome to the way this thing growls is amazing. i like the electronics alot and would not change them out.

11. CARVIN LB76

Bought it four years ago...dont think I will get rid of it. Plays great. No issues at all.

12. I have an LB76A that I got used. For $650 it is every bit as pretty and plays as well as many basses that would cost $???? from a full custom shop. (I used to play a Roscoe.) If you're not super picky about what you get, I would recommend a recent used one because the price will be so much lower. I've seen bolt 4's out there for $350. Check ebay for the going price.

13. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I love my Carvin LB6...

Everything about it says "quality", from the tuners to the neck to the bridge.

It is more of a hifi modern tone, though..and perhaps not for those people who like the old-school fender sound.

14. I picked up an LB20F a couple of years ago as a second bass to my old Fender Precision, and the Fender hasn't been out of the case since. To my taste, the quality & playability are just superb. It's worth it. Resale value drops sharply after the "new" purchase, so if you can find a used one you like, you'll get an unbeatable deal.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A buddy of mine owns 3 Carvin CS basses: a claro walnut sixer, a trans black quilt fiver, and a blueburst hollowbody four. They certainly look beautiful... the claro walnut and quilt maple were both primo quality. And when he plays 'em they sound great. I can't comment any further because they are all lefty basses and I'm a righty.... but they seem to have excellent action.

All things considered, the quality/price ratio for Carvin customs is very high IMO.

16. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I recommend them. I bought two LB75P & LB75PF. They set the bass up from the factory w/good low action so even if you like higher action, you know the bass will play well if you lower it back down as opposed to getting a bass from a store w/really high action & wondering , will it play good lowered. The customer service is excellent.

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'll echo what someone else said. The build was great, the finish flawless but the preamp just was not up to par. How hard was it to put the bart pre in ?

Oh, and the headstock. I hate that design.

18. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I will agree, build quality is great, but electronics are sub-par.

This is very true, if you can find one used you like, it will be a good deal. (Although, I think G&L's hold their value pretty well).

19. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I owned a Carvin BB75 for years, upgraded to a Bart harness, and was a happy camper. Personally, I feel there are bigger bang for buck instruments to be had, such as the Lakland Skyline, Cort Artisan, MTD Kingston, MusicMan SUB, G&L Tribute, etc...but Carvin makes fine instruments regardless.

20. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia