Carvin Cyclops amp? Need Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, May 27, 2001.

1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone has played or owns the Carvin RL6815 Cyclops (1-15" and 2-8"), and what you think of it? There is a chance I could get one for around $630, but I'm not sure about their sound quality. When I looked for reviews of it online, I found a couple, but they gave very mixed opinions. Some said the sound was somewhat "muddy" and others said they got a great punchy tone. So, I'm just wondering what you guys think, thanks! -FunkSlap
  2. Do a search on this topic, i'm positive it's been discussed numerous times before.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm pretty sure Gabu owns one and likes it. I have an RC210, (Same head, different cab), and can get everything I need from it. $630 sounds like a gaaod price if it's in reasonably good condition.

4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks. This amp has been used for only 20 hours in the studio, so it's in near perfect shape. Any more opinions or advice on what to do?
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mine has the Series II (tube in preamp) head which is what the one you're looking at may be.

Plusses - High quality, VERRRYYY flexible head (tone variety), enclosure built like a brick s***thouse.

Downsides - Too much juice for the cab. They tried shoving a stack into one box and it begs to be bridged as my Cyclops will give out easily on my B string if the bass boost is engaged, and the lowest freq. bands on the graphic equalizer are maxxed, and the Gain control (amount of signal pushed through the tube), is above 12 o'clock. It handles the E string.

If it is in perfecto shape, you'll have a hard time finding anything as powerful. $630 is fair, IMO, and shipping (if applicable) paid by the seller would be a bargaining chip.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The sale price of these at Carvin is $870 I believe... so if after shipping you start approaching that, you might want to considder buying new. I bought mine for $475 and picked it up so there was no shipping. But if you can afford this and shipping my advice (that I always give to everyone :) ) is to get the RC210 new instead... I like it's portability better. Good luck!
  7. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    My experience with the cyclops was not good.
    It was muddy and did not cut thru. I am sorry to
    report this because I Am a big carvin fan. Maybe
    the 2-10 is a better choice.
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Did not cut through what???

Seriously, I have not seen anything I couldn't play with using mine... Do you play arenas?
  9. I bought my Cyclops about a year and a half ago to replace the 350 watt, 18 and 2-10 stack I was hauling around and setting up every weekend. I like the fact that I have more power in a smaller package with a lot less labor involved. My band plays loud sometimes and this amp has no problem cutting through and I never go through the PA. I have yet to turn my amp up past 5. If you shop around you may be able to find a used amp that may be better but IMO you wont find a better new amp for the money. If you do buy the Cyclops READ the owners manual. The RL600 head is a little more complicated than I think it needs to be but once you learn how to set it up you can get almost any sound you want out of it. By the way just turn the noise gate off and forget you even have one. Thats the only thing I have found that is lacking on the head.
  10. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I've got a Carvin RC210 series 3, and I love it. It's got serous balls for being as small as it is. I don't have any experience with the cyclops, but it's not too much different from my redeye (Same head, different cab as mentioned before) so I'd assume it'd sound quite nice. I use the noise gate all the time. I have a gate in my Zoom BFX 708 too that works the way a noise gate is suppposed to. The Carvin's gate is like a automatic slow mute button, but it's nice. The R600 is a pretty quiet running amp to start with anyway.