Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Cyclops Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass-shy, Feb 9, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    When I used the search function on this forum, I found mixed impressions on this amp, but they were all from long ago. My question is for those folks who decided to keep theirs: How do you like the Cyclops after it has had a chance to (possibly) stand the test of time? I've had mine for two years, and I still really like it, but I wondered if I'm the only one.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    thats that 600w 1x15+2x8 with a horn monster, right?

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah. It is a bit of a monster, as it weighs in at 108lbs. Some think it defeats the purpose of a combo, but the casters and handles really help.

4. Havent tried the cyclops out. I was thinking about buying one but I decided I better go all out and get it over with, rather than stepping up to bigger rigs progressively. Before I got the big rig though I used (and still use for smaller shows) a Carvin Pro-Bass 300. Its the 300 watt 15" combo amp. Carvin gets alot of **** talk, but I've been pretty pleased with the one I've been using. It did overheat at a couple of gigs, but that was outside in the 100 degree heat of day, doing a 4 hour show volume almost maxed. I pushed it a little harder than I should have (hence why I opted for a rig that could handle any setting thrown at me). But it still works like a charm. If you like it keep it man, dont pay attention to the bashings if you disagree.

5. I have a R1000 Carvin amp and RL410 cab which could be compared. I was utterly disapointed with my setup for about the first two years i had it, but now i am starting to get a good sound out of it finally. I have heard many people say that the Carvin R series amps and cabs are great but have a very steep learning curve. For me that couldnt have been anymore right. After you get used to all the settings and find your sweet spot its a good sounding setup. I guess i have been thinking about ditching it for an Ampeg or Mesa but obviously most anyone would rather have those brands and rather have tube anyway. But if you have found your sweet spot i would keep it.

6. i tried it once, and it is really loud

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm not considering getting rid of my Cyclops, I really, really like mine. You are right about having to take the time to dial it in though. I was merely wondering if anyone else is as pleased with the Cyclops as I am. In my opinion, Carvin is an often overlooked resource that makes great equipment at reasonable prices, and they have proven their worth to me. It just seems that everyone that has a Carvin amp, wishes that they had an Ampeg or an Aguilar. Just wondering why.....

8. I want to upgrade just because i want a tube amp, otherwise i would stick with my carvin.

9. I think something carvin does lack is tube tone. They're very much solid state. Even a hybrid makes a HUGE difference. They sound good in their own right, but when i upgraded to a GBE 600, it was like going from night to day in tone. It's like going from good to phenominal. Never played an aguilar so I cant speak for them, but THE BEST sounding bass tone I've ever heard was from a vintage SVT.