Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin cyclops

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Feb 16, 2001.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experience playing these. They seem to have a nice outfit and every sort of speaker you could want. Are they a good value, I have looked into them but there is no where near here to try one out. Any info is appreciated.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't seen anything about it myself though.

Shawn

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    SnoMan,

I have an RC210 and have said many times how much I like it. Gets all of the sounds that I need, and plenty of power. Have never played a Cyclops, (Same head, different speaker combination), but have heard one with a local band. Rocked the house...

-robert

3. I bought a Cyclops a year ago to replace the stack I was hauling around and killing my back with. What I got was more power and a better sound in a smaller box. On a couple of gigs I added an 18 to the low end just for fun. My band plays almost every weekend somewhere and it sure is nice to just roll it in plug it up and play. If you do get the Cyclops spend some time and READ the manual. The R600 has a lot of features so learn what each feature will do before you gig with it. The only feature I dont like is the noise gate. I've been playing bass for over 30 years and have never needed a noise gate anyway so I just leave it turned off. Be sure you get the casters cause the amp weighs 103 lbs. Also the cover is a quality piece of material. There might be a couple of combo amps out there that are better but I couldnt find one with the same features even close to Carvins price. Another thing I like is the amp will support more speakers if I get into a mine is bigger than yours contest with some guitar player.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'll add another positive review. My RC210 is the most versatile amp I have ever played, and it is loud as crap. The construction of Carvin's amps is top notch, and they are a few hundred dollars cheaper than other amps in the same class.

5. I've been using a Cyclops regularly for about a year, (although it's not mine) and it's worked out really good for me. As was mentioned before there's tons of options on the head, but i haven't had the time to mess with them. Lately my band has purchased a mixer and power amp but we've got no extra speakers, so we plugged them into the Cyclops cabinet and it worked great. Two problems i've seen though: One- When the amp was ordered the head didn't work, but it was sent back and returned with a new head in a duratex (i think that's what it's called) case for free in about a week, Two: The 15 inch carvin speaker isn't the most efficient, when i turn up the bass controls on my amp or bass it makes me feel uneasy, like it will blow or something...but this hasn't happened yet, and doesn't sound like anything is wrong with it, i'm probably just paranoid... bottom line: great amp for the pricetag!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

magdalena- I heard the same sort of comment about my Carvin RL1018's 18" speaker and my Cyclop's 15." The folks weren't used to that much juice flowing though a 500W speaker (15") or the 800W 18." Scared the hell out of `em when the volume and gain got beyond 12 o'clock!

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I own a Cyclops as well. It's like having a little stack on wheels in one unit without the hassle of dragging several pieces of equipment around. By the way, I got the casters for free. Just ask them to throw something in if you order from them, and they'll usually do it with one item so long as it doesn't cost too much.

Sound wise, I like it. I use the pre-shape filters, but other than that, my shelving and graphic EQ's are virtually flat. All my basses are active, so I just dial in the cut/boost on the bass usually. Once in a while I'll boost the lows/mids/highs on the amp itself, but only for a temporary change in sound. I don't use effects and this combo sounds decent flat anyway. I can think of others who's sound I prefer more, but the price on those amps is in a whole other ball park.

I haven't had mine that long so I can't comment on durability, but it seems very well constructed. The enclosure is pretty thick(maybe a 7-ply?) and the head itself looks like it's built to last. I like that all the knobs on the front are metal too, I've never owned a head with metal knobs, they're always plastic.

On the volume side, this is as loud a combo as most out there. I say most because I think a Carvin watt is maybe a tad less powerful than the same watt of some other manufacturer's. Maybe it could be that the speakers just aren't as efficient, so don't quote me on that.

At any rate, this combo will get you through gigs in most small to medium settings so long as your guitarist isn't running through a Mesa Boogie stack on 11. It can get plenty loud and it's NOT a practice amp. It definitely can gig, so it's worth a look if you play smaller clubs and don't need a whole stack. Besides, if you play larger gigs, they should have PA's.

My recommendation would be to check out other competitors and weigh the value of each combo in the running. I like my Cyclops, so I consider it money well spent. The other cool thing is that the head in it is not just any old combo head, it's the R600 head that they sell separately. That means if you had a 410 and a 118 at your disposal, you could run biamped through them and have TONS more sound than the default enclosure if you needed it.

Bottom line: For it's tonal capabilities, portability, volume, and value...I give a thumbs up.

Good luck on your decision :)

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    hehe, well a watt is always a watt, I don't want to start a technobabble dispute :)

Just seems that given the same ratings, I've heard slightly louder output from others according to my ears.

As I mentioned though, it could have to do largely with the efficiency of the drivers themselves. Perhaps I've just heard louder speakers from other manufacturers.

Don't sweat the volume on the Cyclops though, it has plenty of it. It also moves plenty of air on the low end with that 15, the 8's + horn are just icing on the cake. :)