Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin cyclops

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patriotslayer, Mar 25, 2003.

1. i was reading in my cravin catalog and i saw the carvin cyclopes. it's a combo with a alot of speakers. it has 1x15 2x8 and a horn.
    power rating
    2 ohms 300w/300w
    4 ohms 250w/250w
    8 ohms 175w/175w
    bridged 4ohms: 600w, 8ohms: 500w

has anyone tried it? it looks good to me.

2. carvin... sorry:(

3. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

It sounds OK, i went to the hollywood shop last saturday and played a 6 stringer through it, i own a carvin 8x10 with the red eye and IMHO it sounds great!!;)

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Recently sold mine.

My advice - the R600 head is a fine thing for the money. Pair it up with different speakers. Genz-Benz makes very good sounding speakers for not a lot of money that can handle the R600.

The R600 head is like putting a 400 lb. gorilla on a skateboard. The Cyclops cab can only use 175 watts of the R600's available power. The Cyclops cab runs a screwy load.....something like 2.6 ohms if I remember correctly what Carvin told me.

If you bridge it, you'll cook the cabinet.

Moreover, the 15" can't handle a B string at all or the lower notes of an E string at higher volume.

I bought mine for home practice and it was overkill although as long as I laid off my B string.

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Cyclops is meant to be used bi-amped, not full range. I tried one at a Carvin store and couldn't get a tone I liked, no matter what crossover settings I used. I liked the sound of the RL610 stack (15" and a 2x10") much better.

I'm not a big fan of combo bass amps in the first place, but in size and weight, this one is a real monster. I think you'd be better off with a separate head and a cab or two.

If you must have a Carvin combo, get the one with the 2 10" speakers - at least it's more portable than the Cyclops - and add a 15" cab.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Take a real close look at the size and weight...it's big and heavy. Will it fit in your car, will you be able to get it up and down stairs?

Buying essentially the same thing in a stack (R600 head, 2-10 and 1-15 cabs) is going to be much easier to transport.

As far as rickbass' comments about it not being able to handle a B string, I just don't get that...I've played my 5 strings through a number of lousy amps just fine.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm only a fan of combos when you need something small and portable, which this cab definitely is NOT. Its large, cumbersome, heavy, and doesn't sound anywhere near as good as a separate head and cab, even Carvin separates.

My opinion (and you can take it with a grain of salt) is that Carvin amps are fine, but their speaker cabs leave lots to be desired, and for the same money you can do LOTS better (Avatar).

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I liked it. But it was a pain to move. I liked the RC210 with 18" ext cab much better. I got a lot of mileage out of the RC210. It sounded great and was fairly portable. It definately served me well.

But then I like am Ampeg SVT400T with Avatar 15c and 12 even better than the RC210. ;)

9. I've never played through one, but I've heard one in action with a Warwick Streamer 5 string. It was used in a progressive metal situation. It was damn loud, and it had a lot of punch... I didn't play it myself, so I can't comment on how it would suit me. They're a bitch to lug without casters I assume.

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I made a special trip to the Carvin showroom when visiting LA to try out a Cyclops a couple of years ago. I was disappointed. I thought the big cab might have a lot of bottom end, but it didn't. I fiddled with it for awhile, and never got a sound I liked. I use my Carvin R1000 head with a EV-loaded 1x15, and it sounds great.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Funny thing is that my next DIY project is looking like it's going to be a 15 with either 2x8's or 2x10's. But I plan to use speakers with neodium magnets to eliminate the weight problem. And I'm gonna try and make it a similar size to most of the 4x10 cabs out there. Tough project, but the coments on this thread are encouraging me to follow it through.

12. I have the Cyclops and the RC210. I don't think the Cyclops should be considered a combo because the head is not hard wired to the speakers. My experience with the Cyclops is the 8's are useless. You 8's won't handle being bridged, so in the bi-amp mode the 15 does all the work and the 8's just sit there waiting on the occasional high note here and there. I bought a RC210 cabinet without the head from one of our fellow TB'ers and installed two new 300 watt 10's from Dave at Avatar. That bumped the 210 from a 400 watt cabinet to a 600 watt cabinet. Now with the 15 in the Cyclops and the new 10's I have one kick butt rig. I can either go bridged or stereo with the same R600 head. I have the head rack mounted with my other toys. If I were doing it again I would buy the 1000 watt head and a 15 and 2-10 from Avatar. IMO a much better deal to start with. Something else about the Cyclops is the thing is way too top heavy with the casters installed. Before I reworked my setup I don't know how many times the Cyclops almost tipped over. One time while setting up it did fall over and broke our lead singers foot. Had to cancel the gig one hour before we were to start and spent the next four hours at the hospital.

13. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned one and it was terrible. The tone was pure mud.