carvin cyclops.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by edgaroviz, Nov 5, 2011.

1. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    I thinking about getting the carvin cyclops, I have a good deal on one of them.

did anyone try it, and can tell me about this combo?

the owner told me that I might have to change the speakers, I though maybe I can use the 18th sound 8", and eminence 15" that are in the fearful cabs. do you guys this it might be a good idea?

plus could anyone answer a few questions:
    *what's the bi-amp thingy?
    *if the power amp delivers 600W in 4ohm, or 2ohm?
    *the overall ohm rating for all 3 speakers is 4ohm, or 2ohm?

Thanks.

2. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I have one on the way, so here is what Iknow
    the cab is 8ohm full range, you may be able to bi amp the cab split the 15 for lows 8s for highs.
    speakers you could use anything you want as long as combined does not go below 2ohn.
    I'll tell you more when i get mine. I plan to run another 1508 cab with the Carvin bringing it down to 4ohn. you can get the maunal from Carvin web in a PFD
    What is a good price?

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

This is untrue. The driver you install has to work well in the Cyclops box. That means that you'll have to measure the box and ports and plug those values into a box design program and model what drivers will work for you.

4. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    OK I'll buy that. I guess I thought as long as the speakers were the same size ie 1 15 2 8s it would be ok.
    I stand corrected!:cool:

5. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I had the 1000 watt version of the Cyclops, one of the last ones Carvin made. It was fairly awesome. There are actually 2 separate amps in the head to power the lows and highs. The rig can be run full range (by combining the amps) or in bi-amp mode. For bi-amping the head has a crossover built in and allows you to select the cutoff point for frequencies going to the 15 and the dual 8 inch speakers.

It also has a tweeter with trim control. This thing is really a PA system in one box.

It has more EQ options than anyone will ever need (tweakers will love it, I found it a little too much to dial on the fly) and if you're looking for loud hi-fi bass this will do it beautifully.

It's heavy (about 100 pounds) but has casters and is similar to a 410 cab in the "clean and jerk" routine to put it in a car.

I sold mine to a friend. I recently offered to buy it back when I needed a backup...he won't do it, he's a drummer and he says it's the best rig for an electronic kit he's ever found!

That's what I know, hope this helps.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I can see it being a great amp for amplifying electronic drums. The combo's design and features was way ahead of it's time but listen to BassmanPaul when he warns about putting in replacement speakers. Too much speaker (hi efficiency, hi XMAX) may do more harm than good.
    Your best bet is to call Carvin for a recommendation. Some techs are better than others so you may want to browse around the Carvin Bass Amp forum first, looking for names.

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    What's the deal with the speakers in it? Did the seller say they are blown, well worn, or just inferior? If it needs all new speakers, it had better be VERY cheap - as in practically free.

I used to own a Peavey 1516 cab, which had the same speaker configuration and bi-amp inputs. No tweeter, though. It sounded good. And Carvin's heads all have tons of tone shaping features.

But there is SO much newer stuff that I'm sure blows the Cyclops away. That's why I have to ask what's it going for and what's the deal with the speakers?

8. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I agree if the speaks are bad but the head is good, the R600 is still worth 200-250, but I'm geting mine from a GC in PA they are shipping it to the store in applaton WI so I can trade in some stuff on it. From what I can see it looks very nice and they areasking $299

9. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I got a call from the GC in Appleton WI my Cyclops has arrived from PA. I pict it up on Saturday Stay Tune!

10. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    I have one, though I don't play it much anymore. The speakers are actually quite good; I bypassed the head and plugged my Demeter pre through a power amp and compared the Cyclops as a cabinet to a carvin neo 4x10, avatar 2x10, acme low b-4, and fearful 12/6/1. IMO, The cyclops was close to the Acme and fEarful in tone. I didn't really get a chance to crank them to gig-levels, so it may fart out much sooner. Also, the horizontal arrangement of the 8 inch drivers is terrible engineering. However, I could never seem to get a tone I really liked out of the head, though it has a lot of flexibility.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have one, too. I always run mine bi-amped with the X-Over set at about 800 hz and I EQ for whatever the room calls for. The EQ and tone shaping options can be overwhelming at first, but once you learn how the controls interact, you can dial in some great tones.

The things I like most are the tonal flexibility, the very, very clean DI and the massive volume. It also makes a killer acoustic guitar/bass rig.

The things I don't like are the weight, (which is biased toward the front), the crappy casters and the rat fur.

All in all, it's a hell of a nice amp for not a lot of money.

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I had a 600 watt Cyclops in the late 90s. Loved its tone. Kind of like my nEarful cabs. Heavy sucker, though, and it got to be too much to move around. Good price!

13. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    it is a tank, but sounds great!

14. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I agree with the post that this amp sounds best in bi-amp mode.
    this unit may be an early version as the head does not have an extension speaker, nor the cab a full range input.
    I've played with it for about an hour and find it to be one of the best all around combo units I've every played.
    I may look for a R1000 and beef it up some.
    Very happy I did however order new casters.

15. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    What if...

I've always wondered what if you remove the R600 head and installed a BX1500. Then removed the speakers and installed the Carvin Neo 8" and 15" speakers? It would remove approx 20-25lb. The tone would change to a more "modern" tone...but who knows.

About ten years ago I bought the RC210 from Carvin and stacked it on top of a 1X15 but always cast jealous eyes at the Cyclops.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Re-read post #3 for why this is a bad idea! Sorry!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021