Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin dcm bridge mode

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JefWes, Dec 3, 2002.

1. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    Is it true the Carvin DCM 1000 will overheat and shut down when bridged at 4 ohms? I'm considering getting this amp but if it can't operate bridged at 4 ohms I'll have to make another choice. would really like to hear from Carvin owners about this issue. Thanks !

2. Not true.The ONLY cabinet that I've heard of that has shut one down with a bridged 4 ohm load was an Acme B4.I've run my R1000 head with Eden,SWR and Carvin speakers bridged at 4 ohms all night long and never had a shut down.My head has the same power section as the DCM 1000.I've had mine for about three years now without a problem.There are quite a few happy Carvin power amp owners on this site,They just don't mix well with Acmes.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've had a Carvin DCM2000 for about two years now, and I run it bridged at 4 ohms, and have never had a problem, it barely gets warm after a long, loud set.

I can't speak for the DCM1000, but the 2000 has been a reliable workhorse for me.

4. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    I plan on using the amp with a SansAmp RBI and an Eden 410xlt 4ohm cabinet.....think I will have any problems?

5. I run mine bridged in to a 4 ohm SWR triad cab. I have played it loud during a 4 hr gig, but, I have not driven it into clipping to my knowledge. It has not overheated nor has it even gotten hot to the touch. I do believe that if you run it at or near full power into 4 ohms bridged, it will probably overheat as will most amps. In my present band we use a QSC PLX 2400 to drive 2 EV 310 PA cabs full range. (4 ohms bridged) It has overheated and shut down a couple of times. The only thing I've ever seen that won't shut down under high stress and low load is a Crown Macro tech. and a Crown K-2. jmho

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Where did you hear that? I'm one of the people who have had bad experiences with Carvins bridged into 4 ohm Acmes, but I don't personally know of any evidence that they have problems bridged into any other 4 ohm cabs.

7. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    when doing a search on Carvin power amps in TB I found some negative comments on Carvin overheating. I have a QSC RMX 850 that is laying dormant in my basement but the thing weighs alot. I'm going to sell my Eden WT-400 Traveler and get a power amp instead. The Carvin looks like a good canidate. Thanks everyone for your comments. Anyone intersted in a 'mint' Eden head?

8. I agree with the others. I run my DCM1000 bridged into either my SWR 8x8 or 2 Aggie GS112's. In the midst of the summer it did get very warm to the touch but never went into protect mode. This also may be due to it being stuffed into a 4 space rack with an RBI and a Furman Power conditioner. An extra space between my preamp and the DCM would make a big difference IMO.

9. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I run my DCM 1500 bridged all the time and no probs yet.