Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin DCM Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bgavin, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Yes - It Broke on Me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - Mine Works Great

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. I Don't Own One - Just Clicking This Button

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. Carvin DCM owners: have you had any reliability problems with this amp series?

[ edit ]

I don't own one, but am seriously considering the DCM-600 because I can't find a QSC PLX 1202 at a reasonable price.

The DCM will be used in my bi-amp rig to handle only the Highs.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Been using one for a few months now (so I guess my long term opinion is pretty useless), with no problems.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a DCM 1500 for four years....it works great! It's not my main gigging amp anymore, but it does P.A. duty now...........sounded great when I used it with my Eden or Acme cabs.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I bought a Carvin RC210 combo almost two years ago. It has the Carvin R600 head in it, which has the same power section as the DCM600. While I was still using the combo I regularly pushed it hard bridged into 4 ohms with no problems. I've since taken it out of the combo and use it to push an 8 ohm Eden so I don't push it as hard, but it's still reliable.

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Had a DCM2000 for 1 year now, and its been working perfectly. No problems at all.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Don't know about the DCM, but I have the previous model- FET1000 - that is about 8 years old and still going strong. I have used Carvin power amps for years and never had a problem. I have 2 Carvin powered PA heads, which probably have the same power amp in them as the DCM, and haven't had any problem with them either.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my DCM1000 has been run hard for a year with nary a whimper. dropped my rack from heights that sent everything else in my rack into the shop for repair, and it still soldiers on. absolutely transparent, doesn't need that input mod to get full power out of preamps like the IOD, etc etc.

i LOVE mine.

8. what input mod are u talking about warwick?

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Using a DCM2000 for about two years now. Never a problem, solid as a freakin' rock.

I'd recommend staying away from the "limiter" switch on the back though. Manual says it will give you more headroom, but I've found it sucks the dynamics out too much for bass use. Perhaps its more useful for PA work, but for bass, don't use it!

10. The SWR IOD puts out 0.775 volts at 100 Hz, from a 140 mV passive pickup.

This is not enough voltage to drive a QSC power amp to full amplification. The DCM-600 has an input sensitivity of 1.00 volt, and my QSC PLX 3002 requires 1.70 volts.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    No problems with my R600. No problems with my DCM1000 (although that one is only 6 months old).

12. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have had my dcm 1500 for about a year now powering my svp-pro and my bergie cab. Its clean quiet and has seen no problems. I bought it used for dirt cheap (cheap for a 1500 watt amp).

13. so how do i fix this?

14. No problems with my DCM 1000 or 1500. Runs good, sounds good, and looks good. Where's my credit cards....:eek:

15. Send the amp to QSC for modification. Figure out what sensitivity you need (0.775, 1.00, etc).

New amps purchased from Lord Valve can be factory modified by him.

The alternative I use is Rane signal processing (EQ and crossover), which have greater than unity gain. This lets me increase the signal, and I can still drive the PLX into clipping.

16. is matching the sensitivities even a good thing? wouldnt it just make the amp easier to clip. and create more dangerous power?

17. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    That's what the attenuator knobs are for.