Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin DCM1000 - actual depth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 30, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Anybody with a late model DCM1000 that can provide the actual depth from the back of the rack ears? Carvin shows a 10" depth in the specs on their site, but I'm not sure if that's overall depth or rack depth, and whether it's rounded to the nearest inch or whatever.

Yes, it makes a difference - I'd like to use a SKB shallow (10 3/8") 3U or 4U XRack:

http://www.skbcases.com/product/pro_audio/rack_mount/skb-XRack3.html

[​IMG]

I saw these yesterday, and was very impressed with them for the price ($60) and weight. I want to get my rack case now to protect my SansAmp RBI, and want to be sure a Carvin will fit.

Thanks!

2. Mine measures right at 10" from the back of the rack ears when the power cord is unplugged (the front panel controls are flush, very nice).

10" EXCEPT for the big a**ed speaker binding posts (and banana jack sockets) which stick up another inch. I've tried unscewing these, but they seem to have an inside lip that keeps me from completely removing the threaded posts and big plastic knobs. There are also speakon and 1/4" speaker outputs that are relatively flush. The posts are the problem.

Give Carvin a call and ask them about it. The amp may fit the rack as is, there maybe a simple way to easily remove the offending posts, or they may have a lower profile set of posts.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    CRAP!

I called Carvin today and spoke to one of their product "experts", who assured me the amp was 10" deep. I stopped and picked up a XRack on the way home based on this info. Now I find it probably won't fit!!!

Thanks for measuring your amp, Joe.

4. Well, I guess you need to talk to that guy's boss. The good news is that if you can get the posts off, it will probably fit the 10 and 3/8" space. Is that the actual internal measurement from the front of the rails to the back panel?

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, I just measured the rack with a steel rule. It's about 10 3/4" to the inside lip of the access door, and just about 11" to the inside surface of the door. This just might work...

6. That should be right on it. The good news is that the binding/banana posts have almost 3/8" of nothing but plastic that sticks out. This serves no purpose that I can tell except better grip when screwing in the knobs (using it as a binding posts). This plastic could easily be removed with a fine cut model or hack saw, or a dremel tool. Pic below.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the info, Joe!

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I popped the lid on the new Carvin DCM1000, and it will be very easy to remove the binding posts, I think - all the connections are nuts and bolts. Should be no problem to dump the posts...

9. That's cool, HD. BTW, how much of the posts stick out of the back of the rack? Was my estimate of a 1/4" about right?

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Does the XRack open in the back? It looks from the pictures that only the front comes off.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yep, pretty close (I haven't measured).

I haven't decided if I'll remove the posts, or drill clearance holes in the back cover of the case. I probably won't worry about it for a month or two, then deal with it.

The power cord receptacle is proving to be a bigger PITA than the binding posts. Since the cord goes in the bottom corner, I had to move the Carvin to the middle position, with the preamp below and the tuner above. No biggie - it may actually be better this way since heat rises!

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The back has an access door like the less expensive SKB RotoRack full depth racks. When the cover is off, you are left with a 2" or so rim around the bottom - a little more than the width of rack rails. The back is NOT watertight/gasketed.

13. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
  14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...I hadn't considered that, and the XRack is returnable.

New thread to follow.

:D

15. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Those binding posts are PITAs allright, but gosh, they sure are pretty :D

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I started another thread about rack bags - I could keep the binding posts if I use one.