Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin DCM1500 vs QSC RMX1450

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Carvin has the DCM1500 delivered for 399 through 12/31
    QSC RMX1450 is also 399. Carvin specs 300 a side at 8 ohms
    QSC is 280. The Carvin is 26lbs, QSC is 40lbs. I'd rather not drag the extra weight but if you have pros/cons for this amp comparison, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Happy Holidays!

Buzz-

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm also interested in this vs. thread, as I have also been considering buying one of these two amps.

I have personal experience with QSC amps, and I think they're great! But, the lighter Carvin has caught my attention.

All you knowledgeable TBers, please chime in... :)

3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I have no experience with Carvin amps... but this old back sure likes the sound of it weighing less!

4. I would go for the Carvin. The DCM series has been very reliable, made in the US, while the RMX series is made in China.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you want light, and qsc, look into the plx series. Not as cheap though.

6. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Isn't this a power switching amp? Big String needs to chime in.
    He had a PLX and ended up going heavier with a Crest CA9.

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've had an RMX-850 (good amp) and currently have 2 DCM-1000s.

The RMX had selectable (30/50 Hz) low frequency limiters which was cool but settings were through a bank of dip switches on the back of the amp (a pain to set up on a dark stage). It also had no 1/4" outputs (binding post & speakon only).

The DCM is lighter and has 1/4" outputs for parallel mode (still binding post or speakon for bridged mode). The settings are little "push in" switches on the back, a little easier than the QSC settings to deal with on a dark stage (but not as many features to control).

I'm not enough up on the details to look at the THD specs and the like but there may be some differences there as well.

I went for the Carvin primarily for lighter weight. I may someday "move up" to a PLX so I can have the low frequency limiting and shave a few more pounds off the overall rack weight.

8. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'd go with the RMX any day. In fact, I was faced with a very similar choice 2 years ago. I went with the RMX 1850HD. Yeah, it's a back-breaker, but it's a great amp. I would rather trust QSC's network of repair depots than Carvin's "send it back to San Diego" warranty policy.

If you shop around, you can probably get a better price on the RMX. Try www.northernsound.net . (DISCLAIMER: I'm a happy customer, and nothing more.)

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    WIth QSC, you have Bob Lee here on this forum to answer any of your questions, and help you out if you ever need assistance or have a problem. That, to me, is worth any price.

drobinsn likes this.
  10. If there is nothing wrong with the carvin, and it is half the weight, then why get something bigger and heavier?

Is there a noticeable sound difference? I think that might be what the issue is.

BTW:
    I read a trademark infringement case the other day. Bose sued QSC simply becasue they had the word "wave" on one of their amps. When bose says wave, they mean the wave-guide enclosure on the smaller radios. But apparently the court thinks Bose owns the word "wave" on anything having to do with audio.

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I'm not claiming there's anything wrong with Carvin or the DCM series. I have a number of Carvin basses. The fact that most of their gear is US made is a point in their favor for some, including me. (Some of Carvin's products are imported - e.g. Cobalt guitars, mics, wireless rigs, in-ear monitors, pedals.)

I tend to believe that the sonic differences between modern pro-grade power amps are small or negligible, especially in a bass rig. Your ears might hear differences that mine don't.

Why get something bigger and heavier? Good question. Unfortunately, big power in a conventional amp means a big power transformer. Most of that weight is going to be the iron and copper of the power tranny. In this case, lighter means wimpier.

In the end, for me, it really came down to price and support. Believe it or not, I got my RMX 1850HD from Lord Valve for less than a Carvin DCM 2000. If you live near a Carvin store or catch a sale price, you might be able to get the DCM for less. If you live near a Carvin store, the fact that warranty repairs have to go back to Carvin might not be an issue either.

I have not had a single problem with my RMX. I'm sure there are lots of people who have never had problems with a Carvin either.

It's your money, decide what's important to you.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Its a win-win situation IMO.

I love QSC and Carvin!!!

13. I though the carvins used massive tordials too. So the suggestion must be that carvin uses a wimpy tranny in its power supply and that is where they get the weight savings.

I don't know if I am convinced yet. I still would go for the lighter one.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Who's got contact info for Lord Valve? Thanks! Alan

15. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  16. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Lord Valve is the man!!!!

BTW, I wouldn't call him Lard Valve to his face! lol

17. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I went for the Carvin DCM 1000 and I'm very happy. If you used the lighter = wimpier theory, then wouldn't it hold true when comparing the RMX to the PLX?

18. Yeah, and if that theory was true, the Stewarts must really be wimpy.

19. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Definately typo, my bad, and edited...

20. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    No. The PLX uses a radically different power supply which does not require the huge power transformer. The PLX's switch-mode power supply rectifies the AC line voltage to DC immediately, then turns it into high-frequency AC, which goes through a much smaller and lighter transformer. As long as the high voltage filter caps are big enough, there's no reason a switch-mode circuit should be any wimpier than a conventional amp with a massive power tranny.