Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin DCM2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Mar 24, 2003.

1. I am thinking of dropping a few on a new one of these. I jsut want the good, bad, and ugly of these from those who have them. I will be running and Aguilar db-659 and SWR 2x12 Bigfoot with Eminece speakers and a Hartke 2x15 with Eminece as well. both cabs are 700watts at 4 ohms.

I should also note that I currently use a Carver pm1400 and like its power but and having trouble with it shutting down on one side or another at times.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a DCM1500 that I used in my rig for a while and now does P.A. duty.......great bang for the buck! The only drawback......it's a wee heavy.

3. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Heck yeah, I'm thinking about mounting some wheels on mine :D ;)

Looking in their latest catalog, Carvin has been doing some slight changes to their power amps. The prices seem to be creeping down, the DCM1500 is now 2U instead of 3U, and I think they weigh less. The DCM2000 is shown as weighing 38lbs (my DCM1500 weighs 40!)

Plus, they're very tossable ;)

4. I have the DCM1000 that I used for awhile for bass and I think it's an outstanding amp. It is pushing 4 monitors now because my monitor amp went down and it had 1/4", speakon, and banana connectors that matched up well with my 1/4 to 1/4 monitor cords. I ended up getting a QSC PLX1202 for my bass and it's great, but, I can't hear any difference between it and the Carvin.

5. any reliability issues? shutting down on stage, not road worthy, etc???

6. Not a problem yet. I've ran it at 4 ohms bridged at high volume and it didn't overheat. Road worthiness is a subjective term. Mine has given me no problems. However, if it goes down, I'll have to send it to Carvin in Cal. to get it fixed.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've driven my bass rig with a Carvin DCM2000 for about two years now, with no problems whatsoever. I've driven it stereo into a 4x10 and a 1x15, and at other times I bridged it at 4 ohms, and the thing never even got remotely hot even when driven hard.

It is heavy as a brick, though. I recently replaced it with a QSC that weights half as much. I'm selling my DCM2000, if anyone's interested, drop me a line before it goes to Ebay.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've had mine for about five years or so, and no problems yet:cool: